Before we get to the Professionals’ statement here is a quick update on our fundraiser:
At the start of the day yesterday we had raised $35,066 from 252 donors. Overnight and mail-in donations produced a magnificent $3,345. After yesterday’s bulletin went out we raised another $895 from 14 donors. This sum ($895) will be doubled because of a challenge pledge – so make that $1790. So, in total, yesterday we raised $5,135 from 21 donors.
Our current total is $40,201 from 274 donors. This is over half way to our mini-goal of raising $80,000 by Christmas Eve, when more pledges will kick in.
To help spur more donations today we have another doubling pledge of $500 – which means that the next $1,605 will be doubled.
If you wish to make a tax-deductible donation – large or small -you can either:
• Donate by using our secure online server.
• Donate by sending a check – payable to Fluoride Action Network – to: FAN, 104 Walnut Street, Binghamton, NY 13905
In 2007 the Fluoride Action Network began circulating the Statement Calling for an End to Fluoridation for professionals to sign. We now have 4,564 signers. We urge any of the readers of our bulletins who are professionals (MD, PhD, DDS, RN, etc.) to sign this statement.
The Signatories Include:
- Magda Aelvoet, MD, Former Minister of Public Health, Belgium
- Rosalie Bertell, PhD, (now deceased) Regent of the Board, International Physicians for Humanitarian Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
- Arvid Carlsson, Nobel Laureate for Physiology or Medicine, 2000.
- Theo Colborn, PhD, co-author, Our Stolen Future
- Ken Cook, President (at the time of signing), Environmental Working Group
- Pat Costner, PhD, retired Senior Scientist, Greenpeace International
- Ingrid Eckerman, MD, MPH, President, Swedish Doctors for the Environment (LFM), Stockholm, Sweden
- Sam Epstein, MD, author, “Politics of Cancer” and Chairman, Cancer Prevention Coalition
- Doug Everingham, former Federal Health Minister, Australia
- Lois Gibbs, Executive Director, Center for Health, Environment, and Justice, Goldman Prize Winner (1990), Falls Church, VA
- Andy Harris, MD, former national president, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Salem, OR
- Vyvyan Howard, MD, PhD, Past President, International Society of Doctors for the Environment
- Robert Isaacson, PhD, Distinguished Professor of Psychology Emeritus, State University of New York at Binghamton
- Stephen Lester, Science Director, Center for Health, Environment, and Justice
- Hardy Limeback, PhD, DDS, Former President, Canadian Association of Dental Research
- William Marcus, PhD, Former chief toxicologist of the EPA Water Division, Boyds, MD
- Peter Montague, PhD, Director of Environmental Health Foundation
- Raul Montenegro, PhD, Right Livelihood Award 2004 (known as the Alternative Nobel Prize), President of FUNAM, Professor of Evolutionary Biology, National University of Cordoba, Argentina
- Ted Schettler, MD, Science Director, Science and Environmental Health Network
- Kathleen M. Thiessen, PhD, Senior Scientist. SENES Oak Ridge, Inc.
The Breakdown of Signers-by-Degree are:
- 811 Nurses (RN, MSN, BSN, ARNP, APRN, LNC, RGON)
- 604 DC’s (Doctor of Chiropractic, includes M Chiro)
- 564 MD’s (includes MBBS)
- 519 PhD’s – includes DSc, Doctor of Science; EdD (Doctor of Education); DrPH (Doctor of Public Health)
- 364 Dentists (DDS, DMD, BDS)
- 172 ND’s (Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine)
- 104 Lawyers (JD, LLB, Avvocato)
- 116 RDHs (Registered Dental Hygienist); also DH, RDHAP, EFDA, RDAEF, and RDN
- 100 Pharmacists (Pharm.D, B. Pharm, DPh, RPH)
- 71 Acupuncturists (LAc – Licensed Acupuncturist, and, MAc -Master Acupuncturist)
- 46 DO’s (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine)
- 28 Veterinarians (DMV, VMD, BVMS)
- 20 OD (Doctor of Optometry)
- 22 PA-C (Physician Assistant – Certified); also MPAS and RPA-C
Breakdown of Signers-by-State:
Quotes from Signers:
Below are just a handful of the quotes sent to FAN by our Professionals Statement signers expressing their opposition to fluoridation. Additional quotes can be found here. If you are a signer and would like to submit a brief statement on why you oppose fluoridation, you can submit it by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Phillip M. Allen, MD, PhD, pathologist (retired), Wichita, KS:
“The health risks associated with the use of fluoride in drinking water outweigh, to a significant degree, the slight benefits from that use.”
James Beck, MD, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Medical Biophysics, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada: “Fluoridating public water supplies is now demonstrated to be ineffective at preventing dental caries, to be toxic for various body systems and damaging to the development of the central nervous system. Furthermore, it is medically unethical because it is being approved by unqualified authorities, delivers an uncontrolled dose, without medical monitoring. All of this without the informed consent of recipients and without their ability to easily or cheaply avoid exposure once the fluoride is added to their drinking water.”
Carol S. Berman, DDS, Norcross, GA:
“Most dentists who support water fluoridation do so because of what they were told in school and from their dental associations. Most don’t have the time or see the need to review the scientific studies or do any independent research on the subject. I know because I used to be one of them. If they took the time, as I have, to review unbiased research most would probably conclude that fluoride should be limited to topical application only and should never be added to drinking water.”
Dr. Andrew Rynne, LRCP&SI, MICGP, Medical Practitioner and columnist for the Irish Medical News, founder of Clane General Hospital, Co. Kildare, Ireland:
“Nobody should ever be forced to take medicine against their wishes.”
Bill Osmunson, DDS, MPH, Director, the Institute for Comprehensive Dental Studies. Dental practitioner and educator for 30 years with active practices in Bellevue, WA and Lake Oswego, OR. Host, of the Cable TV Series, “The Doctor’s Corner”, Portland, OR:
“Fluoridation promoters try to brush off dental fluorosis as simply a cosmetic concern, however, appearance alone has led many to seek cosmetic corrections which can have a per person life time cost of over $100,000. Dental fluorosis is just one of many public health risks from fluoridation. Fluoridation is one of the 20th century’s greatest public health mistakes and must be stopped.”
Professor C. Vyvyan Howard, MB, ChB, PhD, FRCPath, Bioimaging Research Group, Centre for Molecular Bioscience, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland and newly elected (2007) President of the International Society of Doctors for the Environment (ISDE):
“I’m against fluoridation: it’s a ridiculous idea, based on very bad science.”
FAN, Campaign Manager
See all FAN Bulletins