11. NATURAL FLUORIDE SYSTEM: ESG [Public Works Department] seek approval to convert the City of Hinesville’s water system to a natural fluoride system. Action Item
To seek approval to convert Hinesville to a natural fluoride system.
The Hinesville water system has a natural level of fluoride that is present. The recommended levels of fluoride in drinking water have changed and Hinesville can now meet these levels without adding fluoride.
ATTACHMENTS: 11-1-1 PowerPoint Slides
PREVIOUS COUNCIL DISCUSSION: None
- EPA/HHS announcement of 0.7 mg/L optimal dose on 1/7/11
- Optimal range is 0.6 mg/L -0.9mg down from .7 mg/L–1.2 mg/L
- Conducted a 17 month long study where the average Fluoride level is .62 mg/L with out adding additional Fluoride to the water system.
- Submitted results to Georgia Rural Water Association to become a natural Fluoride system
- Cost savings $9,400 annually in chemicals
- Fluoride pump and equipment savings – Fluoride is very acidic and can deteriorate surrounding equipment
Next step submit to EPD [Georgia Environmental Protection Division] a permit modification to remove/change language to allow for natural fluoridation.
*Copy of Council Agenda online at http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/hinesville.council-meeting.3-15-18.pdf