‘It is essential that parents regularly take their children to the dentist as soon as their baby has their first tooth or turns one – whichever is sooner’
Top Tips for good dental health in children
• Take your child to the dentist as soon as their first tooth comes through.
• Give your child water or cold milk before bed if they need a bedtime drink.
• Encourage your child to spit out excess toothpaste after they brush, but not to rinse or gargle.
• Give your child a soft, small headed toothbrush for brushing.
• Use a timer to ensure your child brushes for the full, recommended, two minutes.
• Your child should be brushing twice a day, before bed and at least one other time during the day.
• Always check the fluoride levels in the toothpaste you buy your child – Fluoride is a natural mineral found in drinking water and many foods. It plays an important role in your child’s oral health by strengthening their tooth enamel, making it more resistant to tooth decay.