Water Fluoridation Status:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- SEE NEW YORK CITY’S BROCHURE (undated) ON FLUORIDATION (see original at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstat00b.pdf)
fluoridAtion law change –
- Read the new NYS law on fluoridation
- $10 million allocated for fluoridation in NYS 2015-2016 budget:
For grants to counties, cities, towns or villages that own their public water system and the water supply for such system for the purpose of providing assistance towards the costs of installation, including but not limited to technical and administrative costs associated with planning, design and construction, and start-up of fluoridation systems, and repair or upgrading of fluoridation equipment for such public water systems……………………….. 10,000,000
SEE – Page 462, Department of Health, Aid to Localities 2015-2016
- Over 2 million New Yorkers targeted for new water fluoridation schemes.
Water Fluoridation AccidentS:
- Potsdam: September 10, 1981
Cause of Accident: The diffuser, a plastic pipe that controls flow of fluoride into the water system broke off, allowing the entire contents of a drum of fluoride, ten times a normal “dose”, into the water supply. The diffuser was found outside the water treatment plant where it had been flushed by backwash.
Results: Village residents were without potable water, and in a state of “water emergency” from 2:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. The village administrator said the biggest cost would be overtime pay for Public Works personnel. This would not include cost of investigation by State Health Dept. personnel.
Source: Courier-Freeman (8/18/81)
- Syracuse: March 29, 1977
Cause of Accident: 1,200 gallons of fluoride was accidentally pumped into Skaneateles Creek from a ruptured underground fluoride tank.
Results: Within hours of the spill, hundreds of dead fish lined the banks of the creek. 1,900 previously stocked trout assumed dead.
Source: Auburn Citizen
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in New York, click here.
- To see an updated list of New York professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
- NYT article, Feb 23, 2015, New York’s Fluoridation Fuss, 50 Years Later
New york’s fluoridation law:
- The State of New York does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in NY. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. To learn more about these fluoridation laws, click here.
Of special interest:
- Grant funds available from New York State for water fluoridation 2015-2016
- Study: Relationship between municipal water fluoridation and preterm birth in Upstate New York. State University of New York (SUNY) researchers found more premature births in fluoridated than non-fluoridated upstate New York communities, according to a presentation made at the American Public Health Association’s annual meeting on November 9, 2009, in Philadelphia. According to the study: “Domestic water fluoridation was associated with an increased risk of PTB [preterm birth]. This relationship was most pronounced among women in the lowest SES [socio-economic-status] groups (>10% poverty) and those of non-white racial origin,” according to Rachel Hart, et al. Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, SUNY School of Public Health. (See abstract)
- 2008 – AKWESASNE. St. Regis Mohawk Tribe Data Report: Fluoride. 2008. CAA Fluoride Grant: XA98279801-3.
Data on oral health:
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN NEW YORK:
- If you live in NY and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact FAN’s state coordinator, Carol Kopf at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW YORK COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Feb 4, 2016||Cortland||Cortland||19,000||Refused state grant of $50,000 to determine engineering needs for fluoridation|
|May 5, 2015||Oneida||Madison||21,147
Oneida Water District
|Nov 2012||Pulaski||Oswego||2,367||Quit after 7 years|
|Oct 2012||Cassadaga||Chautauqua||631||Proposal defeated|
|Oct 2012||Lily Dale||Chautauqua||Year-round pop = 275
* * * * * * * *
Visitors per year = 22,000
|Proposal defeat in Cassadaga affected Lily Dale|
|May 2011||Naples Village||Ontario||1,070|
|Nov 2008||Corning||Steuben||10,551||Proposal defeated|
|June 2008||Elba||Genesee||2,370||Ended fluoridation|
|Feb 2008||Poughkeepsie||Dutchess||29,654||Quit after 56 years|
|Aug 2007||Cobleskill||Schoharie||4,536||Quit after 54 years|
|Nov 2006||Central Bridge Water System||Schoharie|
|Nov 2005||Homer||Cortland||3,248||Quit after 26 years|
|Feb 2003||Canton||St. Lawrence||6,077||Quit after 27 years|
|Aug 2002||Oneida||Madison||10,723||Proposal defeated|
|Nov 2000||Ithaca||Tompkins||29,974||Proposal defeated|
|Nov 1999||Johnstown||Fulton||8,438||Proposal defeated|
|May 1997||Amsterdam||Montgomery||17,533||Proposal defeated|
|Nov 1997||Western Nassau County||Nassau||28,000||Quit after 23 years|
|Feb 1996||Carle Place||Nassau||5,130||Quit after 44 years|
|Dec 1994||Albany||Albany||93,963||Proposal defeated|
|Aug 1991||Suffolk County||Suffolk||1,512,224||Suffolk County Legislature rejected its Health Commissioner’s fluoridation plan. Suffolk County, as a whole, was never fluoridated.|
|1983||Levittown||Nassau||51,880||Quit after 29 years|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN NEW YORK:
In 2008, New York ranked #28 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (657,256 pounds). The state also released 20 pounds of Fluorine into the environment.
In 2010, New York ranked out of states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (411,239 pounds). The state also released 32 pounds of Fluorine into the environment.
In 2011, New York ranked out of states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (388,310 pounds). The state also released 18 pounds of Fluorine into the environment.
The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|160,459||58,000||Coal-fired power plant||DANSKAMMER GENERATING FACILITY. 994 RIVER RD, NEWBURGH, New York 12550 (ORANGE)|
|102,000||113,979||Aluminum||ALCOA INC. PARK AVE E, MASSENA, New York 13662 (ST LAWRENCE)|
|99,900||90,270||Aluminum||REYNOLDS METALS CO ST LAWRENCE REDUCTION PLANT. 194 COUNTY RT 45, MASSENA, New York 13662 (ST LAWRENCE)|
|88,000||47,000||Coal-fired power plant||DUNKIRK STEAM STATION. 106 POINT DR N, DUNKIRK, New York 14048 (CHAUTAUQUA)|
|73,893||52,086||Chemicals||EASTMAN KODAK CO EASTMAN BUSINESS PARK. 1669 LAKE AVE, ROCHESTER, New York 14652 (MONROE)|
|57,000||33,000||Coal-fired power plant||HUNTLEY GENERATING STATION. 3500 RIVER RD, TONAWANDA, New York 14150 (ERIE)|
|49,429||6||Coal-fired power plant||AES WESTOVER. 720 RIVERSIDE DR, JOHNSON CITY, New York 13790 (BROOME)|
|41,062||833||Transportation: Aircraft Engine /Engine Parts Manufacturing||TECT UTICA. 2 HALSEY RD, WHITESBORO, New York 13492 (ONEIDA)|
|14,913||11,272||Coal-fired power plant||AES SOMERSET LLC. 7725 LAKE RD, BARKER, New York 14012 (NIAGARA)|
|6,156||1,161||Coal-fired power plant||AES-CAYUGA LLC. 228 CAYUGA DR, LANSING, New York 14882 (TOMPKINS)|
|1,900||–||Computers/Electronics||NXP SEMICONDUCTORS. HUDSON VALLEY RESEARCH PARK 2070 RT 52, HOPEWELL JUNCTION, New York 12533 (DUTCHESS)|
|1,700||2,600||Computers/Electronics||IBM CORP. E FISHKILL FACILITY 2070 RT 52, HOPEWELL JUNCTION, New York 12533 (DUTCHESS)|
|500||500||Primary Metals||DUNKIRK SPECIALTY STEEL LLC. 830 BRIGHAM RD, DUNKIRK, New York 14048 (CHAUTAUQUA)|
|250||250||Computers/Electronics||ELECTRONIC DEVICES INC. 21 GRAY OAKS AVE, YONKERS, New York 10710 (WESTCHESTER)|
|127||–||Coal-fired power plant||NIAGARA GENERATION LLC. 5300 FRONTIER AVE, NIAGARA FALLS, New York 14304 (NIAGARA)|
|127||128||Fabricated Metals||BALL METAL BEVERAGE CONTAINER CORP. 95 BALLARD RD, MIDDLETOWN, New York 10940 (ORANGE)|
|36||32||Stone/Clay/Glass||SAINT-GOBAIN ADVANCED CERAMICS -STRUCTURAL CERAMICS. 22 ACHESON DR, NIAGARA FALLS, New York 14303 (NIAGARA)|
|28||41||Primary Metals||SPECIAL METALS CORP. 4317 MIDDLE SETTLEMENT RD, NEW HARTFORD, New York 13413 (ONEIDA)|
|20||32||FLUORINE RELEASES||IBM CORP. E FISHKILL FACILITY 2070 RT 52, HOPEWELL JUNCTION, New York 12533 (DUTCHESS)|
|5||80||Fabricated Metals||METAL CONTAINER CORP – NEWBURGH CAN PLANT. 130 BREUNIG RD, NEW WINDSOR, New York 12553 (ORANGE)|