WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in West Virginia, click here.
- To see an updated list of West Virginia’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
West Virginia’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of West Virginia does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in WV. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. To learn more about WV’s fluoridation laws, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2010. West Virginia Oral Health Plan 2010-2015. By the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources. March 2010. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN West Virginia:
If you live in WV and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Greg Mouser, FAN’s West Virginia state coordinator.
Communities that stopped fluoridation
|Clarksburg||16,400||April 27, 2015|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN WEST VIRGINIA:
In 2008, West Virginia ranked #12 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,246,017 pounds). The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Total HF Releases||Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|810,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER AMOS PLANT. 1530 WINFIELD RD, WINFIELD, West Virginia 25213 (PUTNAM)|
|330,000||Coal-fired power plant||FORT MARTIN POWER STATION. RTE 53, MAIDSVILLE, West Virginia 26541 (MONONGALIA)|
|260,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER PHILIP SPORN PLANT. STATE RT 33, NEW HAVEN, West Virginia 25265 (MASON|
|200,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER KAMMER / MITCHELL PLANTS. RT #2, MOUNDSVILLE, West Virginia 26041 (MARSHALL)|
|171,459||Aluminum||CENTURY ALUMINUM OF WEST VIRGINIA INC. CENTURY RD, RAVENSWOOD, West Virginia 26164 (JACKSON)|
|130,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER KANAWHA RIVER PLANT. RTE 60 E, GLASGOW, West Virginia 25086 (KANAWHA)|
|68,566||Chemicals||PPG INDUSTRIES INC. STATE RT 2, NEW MARTINSVILLE, West Virginia 26155 (MARSHALL)|
|54,000||Coal-fired power plant||ALLEGHENY ENERGY INC ALBRIGHT POWER STATION. RTE 26, ALBRIGHT, West Virginia 26519 (PRESTON)|
|46,000||Coal-fired power plant||HARRISON POWER STATION. RTE 20, HAYWOOD, West Virginia 26366 (HARRISON)|
|38,000||Coal-fired power plant||PLEASANTS WILLOW ISLAND POWER STATIONS. 1 POWER STATION BLVD RTE 2, WILLOW ISLAND, West Virginia 26134 (PLEASANTS)|
|32,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER MOUNTAINEER PLANT. RTE 33, NEW HAVEN, West Virginia 25265 (MASON)|
|26,241||Chemicals||BAYER CROPSCIENCE LP. RT 25, INSTITUTE, West Virginia 25112 (KANAWHA)|
|20,226||Chemicals||DUPONT WASHINGTON WORKS. 8480 DUPONT RD, WASHINGTON, West Virginia 26181 (WOOD)|
|17,297||Stone/Clay/Glass||CONTINENTAL BRICK CO. 154 CHARLES TOWN RD, MARTINSBURG, West Virginia 25401 (BERKELEY)|
|4,605||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN BITUMINOUS POWER PARTNERS LP. RT 17, GRANT TOWN, West Virginia 26574 (MARION)|
|2,800||Coal-fired power plant||DOMINION NORTH BRANCH POWER STATION. 2000 ENERGY WAY, GORMANIA, West Virginia 26720 (GRANT)|
|1,991||Coal-fired power plant||MORGANTOWN ENERGY ASSOCIATES. 555 BEECHURST AVE, MORGANTOWN, West Virginia 26505 (MONONGALIA)|
|1,500||Stone/Clay/Glass||EUROPTEC USA INC. 423 TUNA ST, CLARKSBURG, West Virginia 26301 (HARRISON)|
|1,332||Primary Metals||HUNTINGTON ALLOYS CORP. 3200 RIVERSIDE DR, HUNTINGTON, West Virginia 25705 (CABELL)|