Fluoride Action Network Fundraising Update
In Yesterday was another great day of fundraising. With the help of Dr. Mercola’s challenge grant, we raised $2,268 from 20 donors. Because Dr. Mercola is doubling the next $5,000 in donations, yesterday’s total was actually $4,536. Our total for the past 10 days is now $25,752 from 185 donors. Thank you all for your donations. It has been heartwarming, but there is still a very long way to our ambitious goals of $120,000 from 600 donors by midnight Dec 31 and our mini-goal of $80,000 by Christmas Eve.
Remember, Dr. Mercola has pledged to match dollar for dollar the next $2,732 raised and if and when we reach our mini-goal of $80,000 he will match an additional $5,000 in donations. Thank you Dr. Mercola, very, very much.
If you wish to make a tax-deductible donation – large or small -you can either:
Donate by using our secure online server.
Donate by sending a check – payable to Fluoride Action Network – to: FAN, 104 Walnut Street, Binghamton, NY 13905
The Best Fluoride-Free Videos of 2013
2013 brought the fluoride-free movement some great content captured on film. And in this day and age, where most people—especially elected officials—don’t take the time or have the time to read through reams of fluoridation research and written materials, videos are becoming more important in the quest to educate people about the dangers of water fluoridation. To this end, the Fluoride Action Network has created FAN TV, where everyone can have free access to an extensive catalogue of films covering nearly every aspect of the fluoridation issue.
Before we take a look at the new FAN TV, lets take a look at a handful of the best fluoridation videos of 2013:
- Fluoridegate: An American Tragedy, A new film produced by Dr. David Kennedy. It’s a revealing and startling look into the practice of fluoridation and how the government, industry, and trade associations protect and promote the practice (the “policy”) regardless of the known health risks and the growing number of victims. Particularly dramatic is the interview with the Washington DC lawyer who defended Dr. William Marcus, the EPA toxicologist who was wrongfully dismissed from his position with the Office of Water for raising questions about the way the fluoride toxicity issue was being handled by his department. He stated, “They went after him with a vengeance…” For the record Marcus won his case against the EPA and was re-instated with back pay and compensation.
- 10 Facts About Fluoride, Attorney Michael Connett summarizes 10 basic facts about fluoride that should be considered in any discussion about whether to fluoridate water. To download the flyer that accompanies this video, click here.
- Portland’s Fluoride Journey & Victory, This is an inspirational video set to music, showing footage and pictures from Clean Water Portland’s successful campaign to reverse the City Council’s fluoridation vote. There were a lot of great videos produced during this campaign, including footage of the Portland No Fluoride March, a comedic take on fluoridation in The Family Gets Fluoridation Chemicals, a number of personal perspectives including Frances: a Personal Story with Fluoride, as well as Howard Patterson’s educational peice, Fluoridation and the Environment.
- Ed Asner: Fluoride should be a choice, not a mandate, In this short PSA, Ed Asner explains why he opposes water fluoridation. According to Asner, “common sense and common decency” suggest that, no matter how much a dentist or doctor might like a given medicine, in this case fluoride, they have no right to force it on an entire community, including those who don’t want it and those who are particularly vulnerable to harm.
- Ed Begley, Jr.: Many studies link fluoride to reduced IQ, In this short PSA, Ed Begley Jr addresses recent research linking elevated fluoride exposure to reduced IQ. Based on this and other research, Begley has added his voice to the growing number of people calling for an end to fluoridation.
- Fluoride is Poison, The international television news program Breaking the Set with host Abbey Martin ran a great story on the dangers of fluoridation. Abbey’s show is on the Russian Today television network and is broadcast to more than 550 million viewers in over 100 countries.
- Get it out, Michael created a fluoridation protest music video to the song “Get it Out” by composer and wordsmith Alex Wilson.
- Response to Dr. Wu, Dr. Jay Levy, a practicing dentist in Portland, exposes the demonstrably false claims recently made by Dr. Phillip Wu, in a video made by the pro-fluoridation advocacy group Healthy Kids, Healthy Portland.
- Mercola Fluoride Overview, This a 4-minute long video produced by Dr. Mercola and his staff. The video is a quick and easy introduction to the issue of water fluoridation and the arguments against the practice. While some portions of the video are specific to the current fluoridation fight in Portland, Oregon, most of the video is still relevant to any fluoridated community, or any community considering adding fluoride to the drinking water.
- Fluoride: Reduces IQ, Huffington Post Live reports on the recent Harvard meta-analysis showing that fluoride reduces IQ.
- Pennsylvania forum discussion on fluoridation, In March, a public tv station in Pennsylvania held this informative one-hour forum on fluoridation, featuring Michael Connett, Michal Meyer of the Chemical Heritage Foundation, and Dr. Craig Collison.”
The Fluoride Action Network has taken our professional opposition to fluoridation and has captured and shared much of it on video with the development of F.A.N.TV, which is home to a comprehensive catalogue of both full-length documentaries and short clips on fluoridation that are free to the general public. The videos feature FAN’s interviews with leading figures in fluoride research, including dentists, toxicologists, and award-winning journalists, seek to shed light on the health concerns with current fluoride exposures and the history/politics of the water fluoridation program. There is both archival footage and contemporary clips, and much of what you can view on FAN.TV has simply never been available to the general public until now.
Some of the films that can be found on FAN.TV include:
1.) Professional Perspectives on Water Fluoridation, featuring a Nobel Laureate in Medicine, three scientists from the National Research Council’s landmark review on fluoride, as well as dentists, medical doctors, and leading researchers in the field, this professionally produced 28 minute DVD presents a powerful indictment of the water fluoridation program.
2.) The Fluoride Deception, an interview with Christopher Bryson, an award-winning journalist, former BBC producer, and author of “The Fluoride Deception”.
3.) The Benefits of Water Fluoridation?, a succinct review of recent research showing that fluoridating water provides little to no benefit to teeth.
4.) Dr. William Hirzy & the EPA Union on Fluoridation, On June 29th, 2000, Dr. William Hirzy was invited to give testimony before a subcommitee of the U.S. Senate. At the time, Dr. Hirzy was serving his sixth term as the Senior Vice-President of EPA’s Headquarters Union of Scientists and Professionals. His presentation that day was, “Why EPA’s Union of Professionals Opposes Fluoridation.” This is a video that documents the presentation along with interviews with Dr. Hirzy where he describes the reasoning behind the professional and official stance of his Union members in direct opposition to the EPA’s administrative support of fluoridation.
5.) Consumer advocate and former U.S. Presidential candidate, Ralph Nader discusses his views on water fluoridation.
6.) The Politics of Fluoride, a short 5 minute introduction to how political pressures have thwarted scientific inquiry into fluoride’s risks. The video features interviews with several scientists, including Sir Iain Chalmers and Dr. Phyllis Mullenix.”
7.) Why I Changed My Mind on Fluoridation, In this 1998 interview, Dr. John Colquhoun (dentist, researcher, and former Principle Dental Officer for the Auckland, New Zealand Health District) explains why he went from being New Zealand’s leading promoter of fluoridation to being an opponent of the practice. Despite its technical limitations, this is Paul Connett’s favorite interview.
8.) The Arizona Fluoridation Debate, an unprecedented full one-on-one Lincoln/Douglas style debate with powerpoint presentations featuring FAN’s Director and co-author of “The Case Against Fluoride”, Paul Connett, PhD, squaring off against Arizona dentist and long-time fluoridation proponent, Howard Farran, DDS.
Stuart Cooper, Campaign Director
Fluoride Action Network
See all FAN Bulletins