Voters overwhelmingly defeated an initiative to add fluoride to the town’s water, a rebuff to a controversial order issued by the board of health.
In a vote of 700-253 with 16 blanks, the fluoride initiative lost, despite the strong backing of dental and health professionals on the Island.
The town’s board of health voted to add fluoride, prompting a controversy over the decision and the process used to issue that order. The town’s water commission opposed the move. Ultimately, a petition was circulated to bring the fluoride issue to a townwide vote culminating in Thursday’s no vote.
Some 969 of the town’s 3,627 registered voters went to the polls or 26 percent…
*Read the full original article online at https://www.mvtimes.com/2018/04/12/fluoride-loses-smadbeck-returned-office/
- Apr 5, 2018, Letter: Vote for clean water
- Apr 5, 2018, Experience or New Direction Anchors Edgartown Selectmen Race
- Apr 4, 2018, Letter: Fluoride isn’t worth the cost
- Mar 29, 2018, Letter: Professionals support Edgartown fluoridation
- Mar 10, 2018, Edgartown Debates Fluoride Question
- Feb 28, 2018, Edgartown to hold public forum on water fluoridation
- Dec 6, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Health board didn’t follow law on adding fluoride
- Nov 29, 2017, Editorial. Edgartown: Decayed trust
- Nov 22, 2017, To fluoridate or not to fluoridate? Edgartown board of health leaves it up to voters
- Nov 22, 2017, Fluoride Question Goes to Edgartown Voters
- Nov 16, 2017, Fluoride Plan Continues to Draw Heat in Edgartown
- Nov 15, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Fluoridation should be a townwide decision
- Nov 14, 2017, Edgartown: Fluoride decision gets town’s attention
- Nov 9, 2017, Edgartown: Board of Health Votes to Add Fluoride to Water, Causing Outcry
- Nov 8, 2017, Edgartown voters have less than 90 days to petition against fluoride
- Nov 8, 2017, Letter: Fluoride may do more harm than good
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgartown BOH Legal Notice: Fluoride level in drinking water to be raised
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgarton’s Board of Health to discuss fluoridation