I have been reading some of the comments about the fluoridated water issue in Edgartown, and have taken some time to look at the research for myself. There are convincing arguments and good people on both sides.
There are plenty of studies to cite as “proof” for either opinion. One person cited a “recent EPA study” that was commissioned on Nov. 23, 2016, and concluded on Feb. 27, 2017. It pains me to say that that study carries little credibility with me personally, given that the current director of the EPA has no desire to protect the environment or the people affected by its decisions.
The point here, however, is not about whether fluoridation is good or not. It is about the procedures of a local government — in this case, three people — to impose their opinion about what we and our children should ingest on a daily basis, presumably for the rest of our lives. There are obviously some concerns, and some gaps in regards to our knowledge about this. Why the rush? We spent eight years debating the roundabout, after all. Let’s put it up for debate, and hear from the people.
We may never know for certain if the risks outweigh the benefits, but — right or wrong — it is a decision for the people of Edgartown to make, not three officials in a back room.
*Original letter online at http://www.mvtimes.com/2017/11/15/fluoridation-townwide-decision/
- Apr 12, 2018, Fluoride Loses
- Apr 5, 2018, Letter: Vote for clean water
- Apr 5, 2018, Experience or New Direction Anchors Edgartown Selectmen Race
- Apr 4, 2018, Letter: Fluoride isn’t worth the cost
- Mar 29, 2018, Letter: Professionals support Edgartown fluoridation
- Mar 10, 2018, Edgartown Debates Fluoride Question
- Feb 28, 2018, Edgartown to hold public forum on water fluoridation
- Dec 6, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Health board didn’t follow law on adding fluoride
- Nov 29, 2017, Editorial. Edgartown: Decayed trust
- Nov 22, 2017, To fluoridate or not to fluoridate? Edgartown board of health leaves it up to voters
- Nov 22, 2017, Fluoride Question Goes to Edgartown Voters
- Nov 16, 2017, Fluoride Plan Continues to Draw Heat in Edgartown
- Nov 15, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Fluoridation should be a townwide decision
- Nov 14, 2017, Edgartown: Fluoride decision gets town’s attention
- Nov 9, 2017, Edgartown: Board of Health Votes to Add Fluoride to Water, Causing Outcry
- Nov 8, 2017, Edgartown voters have less than 90 days to petition against fluoride
- Nov 8, 2017, Letter: Fluoride may do more harm than good
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgartown BOH Legal Notice: Fluoride level in drinking water to be raised
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgarton’s Board of Health to discuss fluoridation