Fluoride Action Network

Fluoride Causes a Close Call for an Area Child

Source: KAALtv.com | May 18th, 2004 | By Axel Gumbel
Location: United States, Iowa

(KAAL)–  It looked like Kool-Aid…it tasted like bubble gum…so he swallowed it.

Tonight a northern Iowa couple is thankful their 3-year-old son survived fluoride poisoning unharmed.

Last week Josef Dethlefsen drank several ounces of his sister’s anticavity fluoride rinse.  Hours later Josef had a seizure.  He had to be treated at St. Mary’s intensive care unit.

He’s fine now, but Josef’s parents say this would have never happened if the fluoride rinse hadn’t been made so attractive to kids.

Josef’s Father, Kent Dethlefsen says, “I never read the labels of these things that said ‘For Kids’ and you know it says ‘Great Tasting’ on it, ‘Better Tasting, bubble gum flavor.”

The Dethlefsen’s say they knew too much fluoride could be harmful, but they never dreamed the consequences could be so severe.

They say parents should make sure to lock products containing fluoride away, even if the bottle states the product is for kids.