(This is the 3nd follow-up letter on the progress of HB-2372, the fluoride bill that is being debated in the Kansas Legislature. Many see this bill as the first step toward making Kansas the first fluoride-free state in America. The KRA has pledged to stay fully-engaged in the Fluoride-fight until America is Fluoride-free! Please forward this message to your Fluoride-fighting friends.)
1. The House Health and Human Services Committee Hearing in Topeka on February 19th went very well.
2. The pro-fluoride opposing side was well organized, well prepared, and presented a spirited resistance. Passing HB-2372 will NOT be easy! WE NEED YOUR HELP!
3. The pro-fluoride opposition speakers were:
a. Dr. Lucynda Raben, DDS, of Wichita. In 2012, Dr. Raben tried hard to make Wichita a fluoridated community. She used the same old stump-speech in Topeka that she used in Wichita during the Referendum battle in 2012.
b. Dr. John Neuberger, PhD; a Professor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine and leader of the Kansas Public Health Association.
c. Greg Hill, an Assistant Executive Director of the Kansas Dental Association.
d. Brian Smith, Board President, Oral Health Kansas, and,
e. Christie Appelhanz, representing the Kansas Action for Children.
4. While our side focused on the modern science and fluoride facts, those who testified in opposition proceeded as if HB-2372 was a bill designed to harm children and to destroy the dental profession.
5. After the presentations, there were numerous questions from the floor, and it became obvious that this will be a split vote. Some of the questions from legislators were quite harsh in tone, particularly those questions which were directed to Attorney Michael Connett and to Dr. Yolanda Whyte.
6. Dr. Yolanda Whyte is still in Topeka today, and is attempting to meet with and talk to each of the 17 members of the House HHS Committee before leaving.
7. We owe a huge THANK YOU to Attorney Michael Connett, Dr. Yolanda Whyte and to Dr. Charles Hinshaw for the great work that they did, and are doing for passage of this bill.
8. A huge THANKS also, to all who have already donated money to make this progress possible.
9. We estimate that we will need about $25,000 to get this bill through the Kansas House of Representatives. We have raised only about 12% of that so far. (The estimated budget details that are in the last update letter and have not changed significantly.)
That concludes the UPDATES.
Thank you for all that you have already done in the Fluoride-fight. However, if you have not yet done so, please donate generously so that we can continue to wage the battle, without having to fundraise when we should be lobbying for passage of our bill.
If you want your donated funds “ear-marked” for a specific task, please send that request via e-mail (just hit reply).
THANK YOU in advance for your financial help in this important battle!
Mark S. Gietzen, President
Kansas Republican Assembly
5575 South Mosley Street
Wichita, Kansas, 67216-3631Email: firstname.lastname@example.org