The next city council could be asked to return fluoride to the city’s water supply. What is your position on this?
My position is that we need to follow the science and do what’s best for the people of Calgary. All studies I have read show that adding fluoride to the water will help with dental health, in addition, the majority of people I have spoken to or polled (polls were done on community groups in Calgary) are in favour of it.
Digital Marketing/Business Owner
Just trying to advocate for City Hall to get foxtail on a control list. I regularly volunteer and donate to local causes in my community.
What is your motivation for seeking a seat on city council?
Public service – I think that being a city councillor means being able to help the greatest number of people. At my core, I just like helping improve people’s lives.
I see a need for change in the way Calgary is being developed. We need to build for sustainability, so we can keep our taxes low and the quality of living/services here high. If we continue to develop Calgary the way we have been, our expenses will continue to outpace our revenues and that is not sustainable.
Describe your leadership style:
I believe in leading by empowering others. A leader doesn’t control, he guides and empowers his employees so they have the ability to be effective at their jobs.
What do you consider the single most important issue facing Calgarians, and what should be done about it?
There is no single greatest or most important issue. Every Calgarian will tell you something different, and the job of councillor isn’t to determine what the most important issue is. It’s our job to identify all issues and work on a plan to address them.
Our economic recovery should be our focus for the short term, so we can improve the quality of life in Calgary.
What are the three most important issues in your ward, and how would you address them?
– Rising Property Taxes: Attract new businesses to Calgary to fill up downtown’s 32.9 per c ent vacancy rate. Put an end to urban sprawl so our expenses do not outpace our revenues.
– Speeding & Traffic Issues: Find creative solutions such as unmanned speed radars that will ticket people driving recklessly in communities. We also need to add more crosswalks so kids can cross and get to their schools safely.
– Amenities: There are not enough activities in the newer suburbs of Calgary. By adding density, we can builder stronger population bases for businesses, this should help in attracting a wider amount of amenities to SE Calgary.
We also need to invest money into infrastructure for children. There are not enough activities for kids in my ward.
Do you support the city’s downtown revitalization strategy? Where should funding and programs be focused?
Yes. Funding needs to be focused on making downtown Calgary a 24/7 downtown where people live, work and play. At the same time, we need to attract new industries to fill up downtown’s empty office buildings.
What innovative project or job creation measure can you propose to aid Calgary’s post-COVID economic recovery?
https://calgaryeconomicdevelopment.com/about-us/initiatives/opportunity-calgary-investment-fund/ – is doing a great a job so far. I have no innovative measures in mind, but intend to study what other cities have done. This way we can adopt and improve upon best practices for Calgary.
What should city council do to keep young adults from leaving Calgary?
Attract new industries, and make sure our post-secondary schools have programs that teach the latest job skills. Calgary has a brand perception problem, many youth see us as an energy-only city and that has to change.
– We need to attract better job opportunities for them.
– Offer training programs that will prepare them for future tech careers.
– Build the amenities they want to see – better transit lines, more festivals, more room to use their bikes and scooters.
* All candidate Q&As have been edited for clarity and brevity.
*Original article online at https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/michael-streilein-ward-12-calgary-council-candidate-questionnaire