The amount of fluoride in Muskoka’s water supply is safe according to representatives of the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit. Last night at District Council, the Health Unit’s Associate Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Colin Lee, said fluoride is “extremely safe” and is already found naturally in water. He added that water fluoridation reduces tooth decay by up to 40-percent. Lee’s statements come after residents raised concerns about fluoride, saying it’s not needed and that it’s detrimental to health. Concerned citizen Jim Bjork said fluoride is considered a pollutant if released in the air, but that for some reason it isn’t, when it’s added to drinking water. Fluoride is added to the District’s water supply at a rate of .6 milligrams per one litre of water. Bjork says parents are warned to contact poison control if children accidentally swallow a pea sized amount of toothpaste that contains fluoride, yet it’s still added to the public’s drinking water. Bjork wants District Council to allow an informed vote on the issue. Now a staff report on the issue is to be prepared for Council.