1.Lennon M A. Promoting water fluoridation. Community Dent Health 1993; 10 Suppl 2: 57-63.
2. Catleugh M, Delves A, Bellaby P. A review of opinion polls concerning water fluoridation carried out in the United Kingdom between 1977 and 2007. Undated report by the North West Fluoridation Evaluation Group on behalf of the North West Primary Care Trusts (available from email@example.com).
3. Southampton and South West Hampshire Water Fluoridation Survey; ICM. Research study conducted for South Central Strategic Health Authority: February 2009 (available from firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. Public Attitudes on Dental Health and Water Fluoridation in the West Midlands; Ipsos MORI. Report for West Midlands Strategic Health Authority 2010 (available from email@example.com).
5. Durham County Council. Oral health. Available at https://www.durham.gov.uk/oralhealth (accessed April 2021).
6. O’Connell B. Why Northumberland leaders want to increase fluoridation of county’s water supply. Northumberland Gazette (Northumberland) 2019 October 9.
7. MRS. Code of Conduct. Available online at https://www.mrs.org.uk/standards/code-of-conduct (accessed April 2021).
8. SPSS. Quantum User Manual. Available at https://sr.ipsosinteractive.com/SPSSMR/Reporter/doc/en/help/overlap_adjustment.htm#:%20~:%20text=When%20the%20columns%20of%20a,%20samples%20cannot%20be%20considered%20independent (accessed April 2021).
9. Hasting B, Hughes K, Lawther S, Lowry R. The role of the public in water fluoridation: public health champions or anti-fluoridation freedom fighters. Br Dent J 1998; 184: 39-41.
10. Public Health England. Improving oral health: a community water fluoridation toolkit for local authorities. 2016. Available online at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/improving-oral-health-community-water-fluoridation-toolkit (accessed April 2021).
RJL is secretary/treasurer of the British Fluoridation Society. MAL is council member and former chairman of the British Fluoridation Society. RB is an employee of the organisation that undertook the survey.