To vote in the Thames fluoride referendum, make sure you’re on the electoral roll before it closes on9 September.

To vote, you have to be over 18 and live within the Thames water supply area of service or be a non-resident ratepayer who owns a property in the water supply area, and be on the electoral roll.

The Thames water supply area of service covers properties from Tararu in the north down to Kopu. Te Ana Lane in the Kauaeranga Valley is the eastern extent on the network.

You can check if you’re on the electoral roll by calling Council on 07 868 0200 or come and see us at our main reception at 515 Mackay Street, Thames, until 12 noon Wednesday 9 September 2015.

Fluoride has been added to the Thames water supply since the 1970s for the purpose of reducing tooth decay.

Electors will be asked if they want Council to continue adding fluoride to the Thames water supply or if they want Council to stop fluoride being added.

Our Council is taking a neutral stance on the issue and will not be releasing any materials on the pros or cons of fluoridating water.

The referendum is being run independently of our Council by Election Services, who also run the Council elections.

Voting is not compulsory but we’re encouraging as big a turnout as possible to make sure people have their say.

A simple majority either way is sufficient for a decision to be made.

More information, including a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions, can be found on our website at

How to vote

Voting packs will be posted from Wednesday, 14 October.

Voting papers can be returned using the free postage-paid return envelope included in your voting pack.

Votes can also be dropped off at a ballot box located at our Council’s main reception right up until the close of voting at 12 noon on 5 November.

Votes received after that time, whether posted or hand delivered, will not be counted, so allow a few days at least if you are using the freepost envelope provided.

If you don’t receive your voting pack by Monday, 19 October, call the Electoral Office on 0800 922 822 and ask for a special vote.