WATER FLUORIDATION IN THE WARRNAMBOOL DRINKING WATER SYSTEM
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES. STATE GOVERNMENT OF VICTORIA.
Water fluoridation at one part per million helps protect teeth against decay and is the safest way of allowing everyone access to the benefits of fluoride. In particular, children who live in fluoridated areas of Victoria experience considerably less decay than those in non-fluoridated areas.
The Victorian Government is committed to improving the oral health of all Victorians. As part of this commitment, water fluoridation will commence in the Warrnambool area in the week starting 29 September 2008.
Did you know?
• Fluoride benefits people of all ages by reducing dental decay
• Six-year-old children in fluoridated areas experience up to 36 per cent less tooth decay.
• In 2004-05, in the Barwon-South Western Region, the second most common reason for preventable admissions into hospitals was treatment of dental conditions.
An important step in the introduction of water fluoridation is to ensure communities have access to balanced, evidence-based information and the opportunity to ask questions.
• Detailed information was provided to Wannon Water’s customers in June 2007 and January 2008 about the benefits of water fluoridation.
• Residents have been able to seek further information from their dentist, GP, pharmacist and maternal and child health nurse.
• Information can also be obtained by calling the tollfree information line, or visiting www.health.vic.gov.au/environment/water/fluoridation.htm
The introduction of water fluoridation to Warrnambool’s drinking water is supported by local health services including:
• South West Healthcare;
• South West Primary Care Partnership;
• Greater Green Triangle – University Department of Rural Health;
• Otway Division of General Practice;
• Barwon South West Maternal & Child Health Nurses Regional Group.
Under Section 5(1) of the Health (Fluoridation) Act 1973, the Secretary to the Department of Human Services has requested Wannon Water to fluoridate Warrnambool’s drinking water supply. Water fluordation will commence in the week starting 29 September 2008. Advice will be sent to all Wannon Water cutomers in Warrnambool, Koroit and Allansford concerning the need to cease using fluoride supplements once water fluoridation commences.
Areas affected by this decision include: Warrnambool, Allansford and Koroit.
If you require further information or wish to speak with someone about water fluoridation, I encourage you to call the tollfree informaiton line on 1800 651 723 or visit www.health.vic.gov.au/environment/water/fluoridation.htm
Dr John Carnie
Chief Health Officer
1800 651 723
A Victorian Government initiative
Victoria – The Place To Be