WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Arkansas, click here.
- To see an updated list of Arkansas professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Arkansas’ MANDATORY FLUORIDATION LAW:
- On March 4, 2011, Gov. Mike Beebe signed Act 197 into law. This law mandates fluoridation for water systems supplying 5,000 people or more, with two exceptions: (1) communities who receive their water from another state do not have to comply; (2) funds to pay capital start – up costs for fluoridation equipment cannot come from taxes.
NOTE: “… an offer by Delta Dental of Arkansas to donate $500,000 toward startup costs for 32 water systems affected by the bill and a survey showing public support for the measure helped make the effort successful…” ADA’s press statement, March 17, 2011.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2002. Too Few Visits to the Dentist? The Impact on Children’s Health. A Special Report from Arkansas Advocates for Children & Families. February. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2007. Oral Health in Arkansas. By Mouden LD, Phillips MM, Sledge R, Evans V. Office of Oral Health. August. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2012. Arkansas Oral Health Plan 2012-2015. Arkansas Department of Health, Office of Oral Health.
“Recommendation 2.8. Provide funding for public health clinic start up and maintenance grants and other safety net programs including community health centers and not-for-profit volunteer programs. Strategy: 1. On an ongoing basis, pursue funding for community health center dental expansion and volunteer community programs through the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement and other funding mechanisms.” No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2013. Office of Oral Health Surveillance Plan. Prepared by Abby Holt and Brian Whitaker. Arkansas Department of Health.
“Community water fluoridation (CWF) is promoted through a CDC cooperative agreement. Activities include presentations on the benefits and costs of CWF internally within the ADH and externally to various governing bodies, community leaders and lay citizens through the distribution of informational packets and campaigns to include print and broadcast media. Internal partners include the ADH Section of Engineering and the Office of Communications and Marketing among others.” No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Arkansas:
If you live in AR and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Crystal Harvey, FAN’s Arkansas state coordinator.
Arkansas COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
(as of July 2012)
|Sulphur Rock||458||April 2007|
|Ashdown||4,662||November 5, 2002|
|Texarkana||30,117||November 5, 2002|
|Hot Springs||35,587||February 1998|
|Fort Smith||87,152||November 3, 1992|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN ARKANSAS:
In 2008, Arkansas ranked #15 out of 48 states for Hydrogen fluoride releases (2,046,542 pounds) and second for Fluorine releases (9,166 pounds). The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|SAINT GOBAIN PROPPANTS. 5300 GERBER RD, FORT SMITH, Arkansas 72904 (SEBASTIAN)|
|463,662||Coal-fired power plant||WHITE BLUFF GENERATING PLANT. 1100 WHITE BLUFF RD, REDFIELD, Arkansas 72132 (JEFFERSON)|
|461,985||Coal-fired power plant||INDEPENDENCE STEAM ELECTRIC STATION. 555 POINT FERRY RD, NEWARK, Arkansas 72562 (INDEPENDENCE)|
|65,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER FLINT CREEK PLANT. 21797 SWEPCO PLANT RD, GENTRY, Arkansas 72734 (BENTON)|
|62,260||Stone/Clay/Glass||ACME BRICK CO -FORT SMITH. 2723 OLD GREENWOOD RD, FORT SMITH, Arkansas 72903 (SEBASTIAN)|
|43,651||Primary Metals||ALMATIS INC – BAUXITE ARKANS AS. 4701 ALCOA RD, BAUXITE, Arkansas 72011 (SALINE)|
|15,690||Chemicals||GREAT LAKES CHEMICAL – SOUTH PLANT. 324 SOUTHFIELD CUTOFF, EL DORADO, Arkansas 71730 (UNION)|
|9,166||FLUORINE RELEASES||CLEAN HARBORS EL DORADO LLC. 309 AMERICAN CIR UNION, EL DORADO, Arkansas 71730 (UNION)|
|8,289||Chemicals||DUPONT EL DORADO. 322 SOUTHFIELD CUTOFF RD, EL DORADO, Arkansas 71730 (UNION)|
|745||Hazardous Waste/Solvent Recovery||CLEAN HARBORS EL DORADO LLC. 309 AMERICAN CIR UNION, EL DORADO, Arkansas 71730 (UNION)|
|250||Transportation Equipment||TRIUMPH FABRICATIONS HOT SPRINGS. 1923 CENTRAL AVE, HOT SPRINGS, Arkansas 71901 (GARLAND)|