WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 95.2% – ranked #7 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Georgia, click here.
- To see an updated list of Georgia professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Georgia’S MANDATORY FLUORIDATION LAW:
- Georgia Code Annex § 12-5-175 mandates statewide public water fluoridation in all communities as long as the cost to municipalities is funded by the state. Communities can opt-out of the mandate by referendum by 10% of registered voters. Consumers who can get a recommendation from their physician to stop using fluoridated water can get a tax-deduction if they purchase a filter to remove fluoride from their water. To learn more about this law, click here.
- • Georgia water worker fired on Nov 20, 2008, for refusing to purchase and add fluoride to water system
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2006. Oral Health of Georgia’s Children. Results from the 2005 Third Grade Oral Health Survey. By the Georgia Department of Human Resources. April. Funding was provided through the Health Resources and Services Administration, States Oral Health Collaborative Systems Grant, Georgia’s Access to Dental Services Grant/GADS III. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2007. Status of Oral Health in Georgia, 2007. Summary of Oral Health Data Collected in Georgia. Authors: Levin E, Kanny D, Duval T, Koskela L. Georgia Department of Human Resources. November. Publication Number: DPH07.155WH. No mention of dental fluorosis.
— WHITE SPOT LESIONS MENTIONED: “20% of 2 to 5 year old Georgia Head Start children surveyed have white spot lesions.” “White Spot Lesions (WSL) – Considers only the six maxillary anterior (upper front) teeth and is defined as white spots found only at the cervical 1/3 of the tooth, with or without a break in the enamel surface, and with or without brown staining. The presence of WSL identifies a child as being “at risk for Early Childhood Caries (ECC)”.
- 2012. Georgia’s Oral Heath Plan. Georgia Oral Health Coalition, Division of Health Promotion, Maternal and Child Health Section, Oral Health Prevention Program. This effort was made possible in part by funding from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Oral Health, Oral Health Prevention Infrastructure Cooperative Agreement. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Georgia:
If you live in GA and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Dan Stockin, FAN’s Georgia state coordinator.
Georgia COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Crawford County (population, 12,404)||November 3, 2020|
|Bostwick (population, 386)||November 3, 2020|
|Ocilla, Irwin County (Population 3,604)||November 7, 2017|
|Preston, Georgia||November 17, 2014|
|Weston, Georgia||November 17, 2014|
|Big Canoe||January 8, 2009|
|O’Connor UD, Sparta,White County||August 8, 2008|
|Quebeck Walling UD, Sparta,White County||August 8, 2008|
|Marshal County BUP#1,Lewisburg, Marshall County||July 27, 2008|
|Big Creek Utility District, Grundy County||May 7, 2008|
|Cagle-Fredonia Utility District, Big Creek, Sequatchie||May 7, 2008|
|LaGuardo UD, Lebanon,Wilson County||May 20, 2008|
GEORGIA WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Alcovy Shores WA||Jasper||478||1.8|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN GEORGIA:
In 2008, Georgia ranked #3 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (4,275,928 pounds). The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|2008 Total Releases
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|1,200,000||Coal-fired power plant||BOWEN STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 317 COVERED BRIDGE RD, CARTERSVILLE, Georgia 30120 (BARTOW)|
|710,000||Coal-fired power plant||SCHERER STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 10986 HWY 87, JULIETTE, Georgia 31046 (MONROE)|
|710,000||Coal-fired power plant||BRANCH STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 1100 MILLEDGEVILLE RD, MILLEDGEVILLE, Georgia 31061 (PUTNAM)|
|670,000||Coal-fired power plant||WANSLEY STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 1377 LIBERTY CHURCH RD, CARROLLTON, Georgia 30116 (CARROLL)|
|390,000||Coal-fired power plant||YATES STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 708 DYER RD, NEWNAN, Georgia 30263 (COWETA)|
|240,000||Coal-fired power plant||MCDONOUGH/ATKINSON STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 5551 S COBB DR, SMYRNA, Georgia 30080 (COBB)|
|43,000||Coal-fired power plant||MCINTOSH ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 981 OLD AUGUSTA RD CENTRAL PO BOX 2507, RINCON, Georgia 31326 (EFFINGHAM)|
|41,693||Stone/Clay/Glass||BORAL BRICKS INC AUGUSTA PL ANT 6. 1449 DOUG BARNARD PKWY, AUGUSTA, Georgia 30906 (RICHMOND)|
|38,000||Coal-fired power plant||MITCHELL STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 5200 RADIUM SPRINGS RD, ALBANY, Georgia 31705 (DOUGHERTY)|
|38,000||Coal-fired power plant||KRAFT STEAM ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 110 CROSSGATE RD AT SAVANNAH RIVER, PORT WENTWORTH, Georgia 31407 (CHATHAM)|
|34,695||Stone/Clay/Glass||CHEROKEE BRICK & TILE CO. 3250 WATERVILLE RD, MACON, Georgia 31206 (BIBB)|
|31,089||Stone/Clay/Glass||BORAL BRICKS INC ATLANTA PLANT. 5472 OAKDALE RD, SMYRNA, Georgia 30082 (COBB)|
|3,140||Stone/Clay/Glass||GENERAL SHALE BRICK INC PLANT #40. 121 TURNER BEND RD SW, ROME, Georgia 30165 (FLOYD)|
|2,739||Stone/Clay/Glass||BORAL BRICKS INC- AUGUSTA PL ANTS 3 4 5. 1630 ARTHERN RD, AUGUSTA, Georgia 30901 (RICHMOND)|
|1,133||Stone/Clay/Glass||PINE HALL BRICK CO INC. 10000 FAIRMOUNT HWY SE, FAIRMOUNT, Georgia 30139 (GORDON)|
|750||Stone/Clay/Glass||HERAEUS TENEVO LLC. 100 HERAEUS BLVD, BUFORD, Georgia 30518 (GWINNETT)|
|745||Transportation Equipment||PRECISION COMPONENTSINTERNATIO NAL INC. 8801 MACON RD, COLUMBUS, Georgia 31908 (MUSCOGEE)|
|528||Stone/Clay/Glass||OFS FITEL LLC. 2000 NE EXPRESSWAY, NORCROSS, Georgia 30071 (GWINNETT)|
|236||Stone/Clay/Glass||PINE HALL BRICK CO PLANT #7. 318 INDUSTRIAL RD, FAIRMOUNT, Georgia 30139 (GORDON)|
|163||Chemicals||HENKEL CORP. 923 MAULDIN RD, CALHOUN, Georgia 30701 (GORDON)|
|9||Fabricated Metals||REXAM BEVERAGE CAN CO RE FOREST PARK FACILITY. 48 ROYAL DR, FOREST PARK, Georgia 30297 (CLAYTON)|
|8||Coal-fired power plant||BALL CONTAINER LLC ROME CAN PLANT. 110 MCC DR, ROME, Georgia 30161 (FLOYD)|