WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 8.8% – ranked #51 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Hawaii’, click here.
- To see an updated list of Hawaii’ professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Hawaii’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of Hawaii does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in HI. The state does regulate fluoridated bottled water by requiring labeling for any bottled water with fluoride levels, whether natural or artificial, high than .5ppm. To learn more about this law, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2001. Oral Health 2001: A strategic Plan for Oral Health in Hawai’i. Produced by Hawai‘i Primary Care Association. The Frear Eleemosynary Trust, the McInerny Foundation, and the G.N. Wilcox Trust, provided funds to support the planning process and production of this document. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- Undated. Hawaii Community Focus Groups Determine Priorities for Oral Health Research. By Harrigan R, DeCambra H, Easa D, Strauss R, Greer M, Beck J. Acknowledgments: This investigation/manuscript/etc. was supported by a NIDCR R-21 award (DE15020-01) “A Study of Oral Health Disparities in Adult Asian & Pacific Islanders” and a Research Centers in Minority Institutions (NCRR) award, P20 RR11091, from the National Institutes of Health. No mention of dental fluorosis.
Note from Fluoride Action Network: Hawaii is a series of volcanic islands. On the Big Island volcanic smog (VOG) is a major issue. Off-gassing chemicals of greatest concern include hyrdrogen fluoride, a source for exposure for children to dental fluorosis.
- 2014. Oral Health Surveillance in Hawaii, 2014. Presented by Donald Hayes, MD, MPH, CDC Assigned Epideniologist, Hawaii Department of Health, Family Services Division. October 2. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Hawaii’:
If you live in HI and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Stuart Cooper, FAN’s campaign coordinator.
Hawaian COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Honolulu||January 28, 2004|