WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 99.8% – ranked #2 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Kentucky, click here.
- To see an updated list of Kentucky’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Kentucky’S FLUORIDATION LAW:
- Kentucky Revised Statutes Annexed § 211.190, clearly delegate powers to the State Board of Health to adopt regulations? necessary to protect the dental health of the people. Under this law, Kentucky established ?standards for approval of public water supplies. Administrative regulations states that fluoridation is required ?for all communities with a population of 1,500 or more. To learn more about this administrative code, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- The above graph comes from the report, Making Smiles Happen: 2016 Oral Health Study of Kentucky’s Youth – the first oral health study of Kentucky’s children since 2001. No mention of dental fluorosis in the report. See article on report.
- 2006. Statewide Oral Health Strategic Plan -2006. The Commonwealth of Kentucky. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2004. Kentucky Epidemiologic Notes & Reports. May.
“On December 19, 2003 the “Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report” reported that Kentucky, from the 2002 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) survey data, was number one in toothlessness among our older adult citizens (> 65 years of age). In fact, 42.3% of Kentuckians 65 years and older were toothless, they had lost all their natural teeth…”
- 2007. Kentucky’s Oral Health Poses Challenges. By Michael T. Childress and Michal Smith-Mello. Foresight, No. 50. No mention of dental fluorosis.
2008. Using Cartograms to Illustrate Disparities in Oral Health in Kentucky. By Saman DM, Arevalo O, Johnson AO. University of Kentucky. No mention of dental fluorosis.
“Kentucky ranks second in the number of completely edentulous older adults, third in adults with any permanent teeth extracted, and sixth in the prevalence of individuals not visiting a dentist or dental clinic within the past year for any reason (1). Though Kentucky has a high rate of water fluoridation (2), teeth cleanings and dental sealants comparable to the nation’s, it still has a higher rate of caries experience and untreated caries among children…”
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN KENTUCKY:
• In 2008, Kentucky ranked #6 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,920,832 pounds) into the environment. Kentucky industry also released 6,879 pounds of Fluorine. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|490,000||Coal-fired power plant||U.S. TVA SHAWNEE FOSSIL PLANT. 7900 METROPOLIS LAKE RD, WEST PADUCAH, Kentucky 42086 (MC CRACKEN)|
|301,500||Coal-fired power plant||KENTUCKY UTILITIES CO GHENT STATION. 9485 US HWY 42E, GHENT, Kentucky 41045 (CARROLL)|
|291,400||Coal-fired power plant||KENTUCKY UTILITIES CO – E W BROWN STATION. 815 DIX DAM RD, HARRODSBURG, Kentucky 40330 (MERCER)|
|290,000||Coal-fired power plant||AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER BIG SANDY PLANT. US 23 6 MILES N, LOUISA, Kentucky 41230 (LAWRENCE)|
|270,000||Coal-fired power plant||SPURLOCK POWER STATION. 1301 W SECOND ST, MAYSVILLE, Kentucky 41056 (MASON)|
|244,300||Aluminum smelter||CENTURY ALUMINUM OF KENTUCKY. 1627 STATE RT 271 N, HAWESVILLE, Kentucky 42348 (HANCOCK)|
|215,944||Coal-fired power plant||BIG RIVERS ELECTRIC CORP COLEMAN STATION. 4982 RIVER RD, HAWESVILLE, Kentucky 42348 (HANCOCK)|
|120,000||Coal-fired power plant||COOPER POWER STATION. 7130 HWY 1247, BURNSIDE, Kentucky 42519 (PULASKI)|
|118,934||Coal-fired power plant||BIG RIVERS ELECTRIC CORP REID/GREEN/HMP&L STATION II. 9000 HWY 2096, ROBARDS, Kentucky 42452 (HENDERSON)|
|105,089||Coal-fired power plant||BIG RIVERS ELECTRIC CORP WILSON STATION. 5663 STATE RT 85, CENTERTOWN, Kentucky 42328 (OHIO)|
|72,110||Coal-fired power plant||KENTUCKY UTILITIES CO GREEN RIVER STATION. US HWY 431, CENTRAL CITY, Kentucky 42330 (MUHLENBERG)|
|72,088||Aluminum||ALCAN PRIMARY PRODUCTS CORP SEBREE WORKS. 9404 STATE RT 2096, ROBARDS, Kentucky 42452 (HENDERSON) 68,000|
|68,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA PARADISE FOSSIL PLANT. 13246 STATE RT 176 SUITE 10, DRAKESBORO, Kentucky 42337 (MUHLENBERG)|
|63,000||Coal-fired power plant||DALE POWER STATION. 1925 FORD RD, WINCHESTER, Kentucky 40391 (CLARK)|
|50,510||Coal-fired power plant||LOUISVILLE GAS & ELECTRIC CO – MILL CREEK STATION. 14660 DIXIE HWY, LOUISVILLE, Kentucky 40272 (JEFFERSON)|
|49,031||Stone/Clay/Glass||HANSON BRICK STANTON PLANT. 2014 MORRIS CREEK RD, STANTON, Kentucky 40380 (POWELL)|
|28,760||Coal-fired power plant||KENTUCKY UTILITIES CO – TYRONE STATION. US HWY 62 PO BOX 48 6800 TYRONE PIKE, VERSAILLES, Kentucky 40383 (WOODFORD)|
|19,120||Coal-fired power plant||LOUISVILLE GAS & ELECTRIC CO – TRIMBLE COUNTY STATION. 487 CORN CREEK RD, BEDFORD, Kentucky 40006 (TRIMBLE)|
|16,530||Coal-fired power plant||LOUISVILLE GAS & ELECTRIC CO – CANE RUN STATION. 5252 CANE RUN RD, LOUISVILLE, Kentucky 40216 (JEFFERSON)|
|14,000||Coal-fired power plant||EAST BEND GENERATING STATION. 6293 BEAVER RD ST RT 338, RABBIT HASH, Kentucky 41091 (BOONE)|
|7,500||Chemicals||ARKEMA INC. 4444 INDUSTRIAL PKWY, CALVERT CITY, Kentucky 42029 (MARSHALL)|
|6,879||FLUORINE RELEASES||U.S. ENRICHMENT CORP PADUCAH GASEOUS DIFFUSION PLANT. 5600 HOBBS RD, KEVIL, Kentucky 42053 (MC CRACKEN)|
|7,432||Coal-fired power plant||OWENSBORO MUNICIPAL UTILITIES ELMER SMITH STATION. 4301 US 60 E, OWENSBORO, Kentucky 42303 (DAVIESS)|
|3,132||Chemicals||DUPONT LOUISVILLE PLANT. 4200 CAMP GROUND RD, LOUISVILLE, Kentucky 40216 (JEFFERSON)|
|1,151||Chemicals||AMERICAN SYNTHETIC RUBBER CO. 4500 CAMPGROUND RD, LOUISVILLE, Kentucky 40216 (JEFFERSON)|
|510||Primary Metals||FELKER BROTHERS. 125 BEAVER TRAIL RD, GLASGOW, Kentucky 42141 (BARREN)|
|255||Stone/Clay/Glass||GE CO KENTUCKY GLASS PLANT. 200 W LOUDON AVE, LEXINGTON, Kentucky 40508 (FAYETTE)|
|195||Chemicals||A O SMITH CORP PROTECTIVE COATINGS DIV. 8160 HOLTON DR, FLORENCE, Kentucky 41042 (KENTON)|
|188||Primary Metals||PLYMOUTH ENGINEERED SHAPES. 201 COMMERCE CT, HOPKINSVILLE, Kentucky 42240 (CHRISTIAN)|
|148||Primary Metals||NORTH AMERICAN STAINLESS. 6870 US 42 E, GHENT, Kentucky 41045 (CARROLL)|
|3||Petroleum||CATLETTSBURG REFINING LLC. 11631 US RT 23, CATLETTSBURG, Kentucky 41129 (BOYD)|
|2||Chemicals||MALLINCKRODT BAKER INC. 7001 MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD, PARIS, Kentucky 40361 (BOURBON)|