WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
WATER FLUORIDATION ACCIDENTS:
- JULY 1991 — Portage: Approximately 40 children develop abdominal pains, sickness, vomiting and diarrhea at an arts and crafts show at school. One of the city’s fluoride injector pumps failed. Fluoride levels not determined at the time, but later test at 92 ppm. (SOURCE: Carton 1994 | See study discussing this accident)
- NOVEMBER 1977 – Harbor Springs: A tree cut down by a contractor falls on power lines controlling the water department’s electrical signal lines… Approximately 189 lbs. of fluoride is accidentally pumped into the city’s water system.. Four people experience nausea or vomiting and weakness. Had it not been an off-season for this resort town more could have been poisoned. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981. Also, Harbor Light, (12/2-8/81); Jrnl. Am. Water Wrks. 72, 238-243, (4/80); Clinical Toxicology, 18 (5) 531-541 (1981)).
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Michigan, click here.
- To see an updated list of Michigan’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Michigan’s MANDATORY FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of Michigan does not mandate fluoridation. Michigan law § 333.12721 gives only local governing bodies authority over fluoridation. It prohibits state departments, boards, agencies, or commissions from ordering municipal water fluoridation. Local governments can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, by ordinance or by referendum vote. To learn more about these local fluoride ordinances, click here.
Of Special Interest: Beer made in Fluoridated cities
- Northern United Brewing Co. has two brewing facilities in Dexter and Traverse City. According to a Nov 27, 2012, newspaper report, “The facility in Dexter has brewed the line of Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales and the facility in Traverse city has brewed the line of North Peak beers. Due to demand exceeding production, Grant said “we’re consolidating both of our production facilities into this new facility.” This facility will be at 2319 Bishop Circle East in Dexter.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2006. Michigan Oral Health Plan. Michigan Department of Community Health; Michigan Oral Health Coalition. September. Funding for the State Oral Health Plan was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Programs Component 4: Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Programs (U58/CCU522826). No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2012 Fluoridation Toolkit by the Michigan Oral Health Coalition.
2 of the 8 Subject Matter Experts on this report were: Kelly S. Adams, Senior Campaign Associate, Pew Children’s Dental Campaign; and Matt Jacob, Project Manager, Communications, Pew Center on the States.Note from FAN: Excerpts of problematic characterization of dental fluorosis permeates this report. Here are some examples:
“… the FDA believes that reducing the level of fluoride in municipal water will help reduce the occurrence of dental fluorosis, a harmless discoloration (mottling) that can occur with higher levels of exposure to fluoride. Fluoridation of water can decrease cavities by up to 40% if available to children during the first 7 years of their lives. The value of fluoridation has been thoroughly established as safe and effective.”
Q. What is dental fluorosis and will fluoridated water increase the odds that an infant will later develop this condition? A: Although using fluoridated water to prepare infant formula might increase the chance that a child develops dental fluorosis, nearly all instances of fluorosis are mild, cosmetic condition. Fluorosis usually appears as very faint white streaks on teeth. For examples of what mild fluorosis looks like, go to this web page: http://www.ada.org/5576.aspx?currentTab=1 [link doesn’t work]. In fact, the ADA reports that often “the effect is so subtle that, usually only a dental expert would notice it during an examination.”4 It does not cause pain, nor does it affect the function or health of the teeth. And once a child reaches age 8, they cannot develop dental fluorosis. Source: Pew Center on the State
Q. Is fluoridated water the reason why the rate of dental fluorosis among children has increased? A: Experts point to a different reason. Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believe the rise in fluorosis is due mainly to children who swallow fluoride-containing toothpaste when they brush their teeth. Researchers at Oregon State University also point to the swallowing of fluoride toothpaste as a key factor in excess fluoride intake by kids. This is why parents of children under the age of 6 are advised to supervise their kids’ tooth-brushing and apply only a pea-sized amount of toothpaste to the toothbrush. Source: Pew Center on the State
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Michigan:
If you live in MI and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Stuart Cooper, FAN’s campaign coordinator.
Michigan COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Au Gres||890||March 2013|
|Hartland Township||14,800||December 20, 2011|
|Mount Clemens||17,300||May 16, 2011|
|Marcellus||1,100||March 17, 2011|
MICHIGAN WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Charmwood Village Apts||St Clair||50||1.6|
|Lakeside Club Condo||Emmet||200||1.7|
|Locusp Grove Sub||St Clair||30||1.8|
|Manor Farm Subd||Lenawee||200||1.5|
|Milwaukee Creek Coudo||St Clair||30||1.8|
|Oyster Bay Condos||Charlevoix||40||1.8|
|Spring Lake Condos||Emmet||50||1.8|
|Tannery Creek Condo||Emmet||50||1.8|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN MICHIGAN:
In 2008, Michigan ranked #11 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,344,230 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|550,000||Coal-fired power plant||DETROIT EDISON MONROE POWER PLANT. 3500 E FRONT ST, MONROE, Michigan 48161 (MONROE)|
|320,000||Coal-fired power plant||J H CAMPBELL GENERATING PLANT. 17000 CROSWELL ST, WEST OLIVE, Michigan 49460 (OTTAWA)|
|210,000||Coal-fired power plant||PRESQUE ISLE POWER PLANT. 2701 LAKESHORE BLVD, MARQUETTE, Michigan 49855 (MARQUETTE)|
|207,486||Coal-fired power plant||LANSING BOARD OF WATER & LIGHT -ECKERT. 601 ISLAND AVE, LANSING, Michigan 48901 (INGHAM)|
|170,000||Coal-fired power plant||DETROIT EDISON ST CLAIR POWER PLANT. 4901 POINTE DR, EAST CHINA TOWNSHIP, Michigan 48054 (ST CLAIR)|
|160,000||Coal-fired power plant||DETROIT EDISON BELLE RIVER POWER PLANT (PART). 4505 KING RD, CHINA TOWNSHIP, Michigan 48054 (ST CLAIR)|
|120,000||Coal-fired power plant||DETROIT EDISON CO TRENTON CHANNEL POWER PLANT. 4695 W JEFFERSON AVE, TRENTON, Michigan 48183 (WAYNE)|
|120,000||Coal-fired power plant||DE KARN JC WEADOCK GENERATING PLANT. N WEADOCK HWY, ESSEXVILLE, Michigan 48732 (BAY)|
|120,000||Coal-fired power plant||DETROIT EDISON -RIVER ROUGE POWER PLANT. 1 BELANGER PARK DR, RIVER ROUGE, Michigan 48218 (WAYNE)|
|111,796||Coal-fired power plant||LANSING BOARD OF WATER & LIGHT -ERICKSON. 3725 S CANAL RD, LANSING, Michigan 48917 (INGHAM)|
|81,000||Coal-fired power plant||JR WHITING GENERATING PLANT. 4525 E ERIE RD, ERIE, Michigan 48133 (MONROE)|
|59,000||Coal-fired power plant||BC COBB GENERATING PLANT. 151 N CAUSEWAY, MUSKEGON, Michigan 49445 (MUSKEGON)|
|49,112||Hazardous Waste/Solvent Recovery||EQ DETROIT INC. 1923 FREDERICK, DETROIT, Michigan 48211 (WAYNE)|
|37,566||Coal-fired power plant||HOLLAND BPW JAMES DE YOUNG GENERATION STATION. 64 PINE AVE, HOLLAND, Michigan 49423 (OTTAWA)|
|9,114||Chemicals||HENKEL CORP. 23343 SHERWOOD AVE, WARREN, Michigan 48091 (MACOMB)|
|8,403||Chemicals||PHARMACIA & UPJOHN CO LLC A SUBSIDIARY OF PFIZER INC. 7171 PORTAGE RD, KALAMAZOO, Michigan 49001 (KALAMAZOO)|
|6,013||Chemicals||ANDERSON DEVELOPMENT CO. 525 GULF ST, ADRIAN, Michigan 49221 (LENAWEE)|
|5,453||Transportation Equipment||DENSO MANUFACTURING MICHIGAN INC. ONE DENSO RD, BATTLE CREEK, Michigan 49037 (CALHOUN)|
|1,440||Stone/Clay/Glass||HANSON BRICK CORUNNA PLANT. 3820 SERR RD, CORUNNA, Michigan 48817 (SHIAWASSEE)|
|720||Coal-fired power plant||TES FILER CITY STATION. 700 MEE ST, FILER CITY, Michigan 49634 (MANISTEE)|
|433||Coal-fired power plant||GRAND HAVEN BOARD OF LIGHT &POWER JB SIMS GENERATING STATI. 1231 N THIRD ST, GRAND HAVEN, Michigan 49417 (OTTAWA)|
|318||Fabricated Metals||HOWMET CASTINGS – PLANT 4. 555 BENSTON RD, WHITEHALL, Michigan 49461 (MUSKEGON)|
|250||Transportation Equipment||BARNES AEROSPACE – LANSING DIV. 5300 AURELIUS RD, LANSING, Michigan 48911 (INGHAM)|
|167||Fabricated Metals||SYMMETRY MEDICAL INC. JET. 5212 AURELIUS RD, LANSING, Michigan 48911 (INGHAM)|
|115||Primary Metals||HEMLOCK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP. 12334 GEDDES RD, HEMLOCK, Michigan 48626 (SAGINAW)|
|20||Primary Metals||HOWMET CASTINGS – PLANT 5. 1600 S WARNER, WHITEHALL, Michigan 49461 (MUSKEGON)|