WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 75.6% – ranked #27 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Missouri, click here.
- To see an updated list of Missouri’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
The Columbia Board of Health:
- that fluoride is healthy for teeth.
- that it’s naturally found in water and that the acid acts to bring it up to the recommended level.
- that fluoridation helps low income people who are not able to afford dental care
- that its use is less costly than educating the public on dental hygiene.
Reported by the Missourian, October 23, 2015.
Missouri’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- Missouri Revised Statute § 640.135 prohibits the MO Department of Natural Resources from requiring or prohibiting the addition of fluoride to public drinking water. Local governments control fluoridation policy in MO. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. Each community’s fluoridation ordinance is unique. To learn more about these fluoridation ordinances, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- Dental Health Fact Sheet: Emergency Department Utilization for Dental Complaints, Missouri 1994 – 2014. Updated Sept 2016.
- 2005. The Oral Health of Missouri’s Children. Executive Summary. Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Oral Health Program. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2014. Oral Health in Missouri 2014: A Burden Report by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Missouri:
If you live in MO and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Stuart Cooper, FAN’s Campaign Manager.
Missouri COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Sullivan||7,000||May 19, 2015|
|Carl Junction||7,500||April 8, 2015|
|Waynesville||5,200||August 21, 2014|
|Buffalo||3,100||May 12, 2014|
|Forsyth||2,280||October 21, 2013|
|Smithville||8,500||February 22, 2013|
|Pevely||6,000||May 1, 2012|
|Bolivar||11,000||February 7, 2012|
|O’Fallon||80,519||October 5, 2010|
|Neosho||11,000||April 5, 2005|
(as of 2011)
|November 7, 2000|
(as of 2011)
|August 8, 2000|
(as of 2011)
|April 7, 1998|
MISSOURI WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Cape-Perry PWSD 1 N||Cape Girardeau||390||1.6|
|Cedar Cliff Subdivision||Boone||255||1.5|
|Colonial Village Subdivision||Boone||102||1.5|
|Lincoln Co PWSD 1||Lincoln||6,410||2.0|
|Vernon Co PWSD 1||Vernon||610||2.3|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN MISSOURI:
In 2008, Missouri ranked #14 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,143,720 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|364,370||Coal-fired power plant||AMERENUE LABADIE POWER PLANT. 226 LABADIE POWER PLANT RD, LABADIE, Missouri 63055 (FRANKLIN)|
|233,500||Coal-fired power plant||THOMAS HILL ENERGY CENTER – PO WER DIV. 5693 HWY F, CLIFTON HILL, Missouri 65244 (RANDOLPH)|
|222,000||Coal-fired power plant||ASSOCIATED ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE INC NEW MADRID POWER PLANT. 41 ST JUDE RD, MARSTON, Missouri 63866 (NEW MADRID)|
|206,052||Aluminum smelter||NORANDA ALUMINUM INC. 391 ST JUDE INDUSTRIAL PARK, NEW MADRID, Missouri 63869 (NEW MADRID)|
|199,682||Coal-fired power plant||AMERENUE RUSH ISLAND POWER STATION. 100 BIG HOLLOW RD, FESTUS, Missouri 63028 (JEFFERSON)|
|155,685||Coal-fired power plant||AMERENUE SIOUX POWER STATION. 8501 N STATE RT 94, WEST ALTON, Missouri 63386 (ST CHARLES)|
|149,246||Coal-fired power plant||AMERENUE MERAMEC POWER PLANT. 8200 FINE RD, SAINT LOUIS, Missouri 63129 (SAINT LOUIS (CITY))|
|110,000||Coal-fired power plant||MONTROSE GENERATING STATION. 400 SW HWYP, CLINTON, Missouri 64735 (HENRY)|
|96,000||Coal-fired power plant||KCP&L GREATER MISSOURI OPERATIONS SIBLEY GENERATING STATION. 33200 E JOHNSON RD, SIBLEY, Missouri 64088 (JACKSON)|
|88,000||Coal-fired power plant||IATAN GENERATING STATION. 20250 HWY 45N, WESTON, Missouri 64098 (PLATTE)|
|61,000||Coal-fired power plant||SIKESTON POWER STATION. 1551 W WAKEFIELD ST, SIKESTON, Missouri 63801 (SCOTT)|
|60,319||Coal-fired power plant||JAMES RIVER POWER STATION. 5701 S KISSICK RD, SPRINGFIELD, Missouri 65804 (GREENE)|
|57,241||Coal-fired power plant||EMPIRE DISTRICT ELECTRIC CO ASBURY GENERATING STATION. 21133 UPHILL LN, ASBURY, Missouri 64832 (JASPER)|
|33,000||Coal-fired power plant||LAKE ROAD STATION. 1413 LOWER LAKE RD, SAINT JOSEPH, Missouri 64504 (BUCHANAN)|
|30,524||Coal-fired power plant||SOUTHWEST POWER STATION. 5050 W FARM RD 164, SPRINGFIELD, Missouri 65807 (GREENE)|
|25,662||Coal-fired power plant||CITY OF INDEPENDENCE. 21500 E TRUMAN RD PO BOX 1019, INDEPENDENCE, Missouri 64051 (JACKSON)|
|24,000||Coal-fired power plant||CHAMOIS POWER PLANT. 9321 HWY 100, CHAMOIS, Missouri 65024 (OSAGE)|
|10,302||Computers/Electronics||DIODES INC FABTECH. 777 N W BLUE PKWY SUITE 350, LEES SUMMIT, Missouri 64086 (JACKSON)|
|7,700||Coal-fired power plant||HAWTHORN GENERATING FACILITY. 8700 E FRONT ST, KANSAS CITY, Missouri 64120 (JACKSON)|
|4,032||Fabricated Metals||PRECOAT METALS. 4301 S SPRING AVE, SAINT LOUIS, Missouri 63116 (SAINT LOUIS (CITY))|
|2,702||Computers/Electronics||MEMC ELECTRONIC MATERIALS INC. 501 PEARL DR, SAINT PETERS, Missouri 63376 (ST CHARLES)|
|1,387||Transportation Equipment||GKN AEROSPACE NORTH AMERICA INC. 142 JS MCDONNELL BLVD, HAZELWOOD, Missouri 63042 (ST LOUIS)|
|544||Chemicals||BAYER CROPSCIENCE. 8400 HAWTHORN RD, KANSAS CITY, Missouri 64120 (JACKSON)|
|340||Primary Metals||RTI – TRADCO (AKA TRADCO INC). 1701 N MAIN ST, WASHINGTON, Missouri 63090 (FRANKLIN)|
|201||Machinery||BRIGGS & STRATTON CORP. 731 HWY 142, POPLAR BLUFF, Missouri 63901 (BUTLER)|
|144||Primary Metals||O’FALLON CASTING. 600 CANNONBALL LN, O’FALLON, Missouri 63366 (ST CHARLES)|
|79||Fabricated Metals||BALL METAL BEVERAGE CONTAINER CORP. 1800 REYNOLDS AVE, KANSAS CITY, Missouri 64120 (JACKSON)|
|8||Fabricated Metals||METAL CONTAINER CORP – ARNOLD CAN PLANT. 42 TENBROOK INDUSTRIAL PARK, ARNOLD, Missouri 63010 (JEFFERSON)|