WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 46.7% – ranked #45 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- Areas of naturally high levels of fluoride in water, click here.
- Fact Sheet on fluoride in NH water, click here.
NEW HAMPSHIRE FLUORIDE DATA FOR EACH WATER SYSTEM
2020: Levels of Fluoride in the State’s Drinking Water and Fluoridation Status: 215 Public Water Systems with fluoride levels over 0.71 ppm.
• 79 public water systems over 2.0 ppm
• 82 systems between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm
• 54 systems over 0.71 to 0.99 ppm
For a quick overview, Michael Dolan, in his November 2021 Fluoridation Review, listed these cities and towns in New Hampshire:
The following list of fluoridated cities and towns was obtained in July 2020 from the New Hampshire Division of Health and Human Services. The towns listed as partly fluoridated receive water from the Laconia, Manchester or Portsmouth Water Works.
Fluoridated cities and towns: Bedford (part), Belmont (part), Concord, Conway (eastern), Derry (part), Dover, Durham/UNH, Greenland, Goffstown (part), Hanover, Hooksett (part), Laconia, Lancaster, Lebanon, Londonderry, Madbury, Manchester, New Castle, Newington, Pease Trade Port (Portsmouth), Penacook, Portsmouth, Rochester.
Nonfluoridated cities and towns: Acworth, Albany, Alexandria, Allenstown, Alstead, Alton, Amherst, Andover, Antrim, Ashland, Atkinson, Auburn, Barnstead, Barrington, Batlett, Bath, Bedford, Belmont, Bennington, Benton, Berlin, Bethlehem, Boscawen, Bow, Bradford, Brentwood, Bridgewater, Bristol, Brookfield, Brookline, Campton, Canaan, Candia, Canterbury, Carroll, Center Harbor, Charlestown, Chatham, Chester, Chesterfield, Chichester, Claremont, Clarksville, Colebrook. Columbia, Conway, Cornish, Croydon, Dalton, Danbury, Danville, Deerfield, Deering, Derry, Dorchester, Dublin, Dummer, Dunbarton, East Kingston, Easton, Eaton, Effingham, Ellsworth, Enfield, Epping, Epsom, Errol, Exeter, Farmington, Fitzwilliam, Franconia, Franklin, Freedom, Fremont, Gilford, Gilmanton, Gilsum, Goffstown, Gorham, Goshen, Grafton, Grantham, Greenfield, Greenville, Groton, Hampstead, Hampton, Hampton Falls, Hancock, Harrisville, Hart’s Location, Haverhill, Hebron, Henniker, Hill, Hillsborough, Hinsdale, Holderness, Hollis, Hooksett, Hopkinton, Hudson, Jackson, Jaffrey, Jefferson, Keene, Kensington, Kingston, Landaff, Langdon, Lee, Lempster, Lincoln, Lisbon, Litchfield, Littleton, Loudon, Lyman, Lyme, Lyndeborough, Madison, Marlborough, Marlow, Mason, Meredith, Merrimack, Middleton, Milan, Milford, Milton, Monroe, Mont Vernon, Moultonborough, Nashua, Nelson, New Boston, New Durham, New Hampton, New Ipswich, New London, Newbury, Newfields, Newmarket, Newport, Newton, North Hampton, Northfield, Northumberland, Northwood, Nottingham, Orange, Orford, Ossipee, Pelham, Pembroke, Peterborough, Piermont, Pittsburgh, Pittsfield, Plainfield, Plaistow, Plymouth, Randolph, Raymond, Richmond, Rindge, Rollinsford, Roxbury, Rumney, Rye, Salem, Salisbury, Sanbornton, Sandown, Sandwich, Seabrook, Sharon, Shelburne, Somersworth, South Hampton, Springfield, Stark, Stewartstown, Stoddard, Strafford, Stratham, Sugar Hill, Sullivan, Sunapee, Surry, Sutton, Swanzey, Tamworth, Temple, Thornton, Tilton, Troy, Tuftonboro, Unity, Wakefield, Walpole, Warner, Warren, Washington, Waterville Valley, Weare, Webster, Wentworth, Westmoreland, Whitefield, Wilmot, Wilton, Winchester, Windham, Windsor, Wolfeboro, Woodstock
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in New Hampshire, click here.
- To see an updated list of New Hampshire’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
New Hampshire’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of New Hampshire does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in NH. Municipalities can begin or discontinue fluoridation only by collecting petition signatures from 10% of registered voters within the communities served by the fluoridating water company. If the petition is valid, a referendum vote on fluoridation must be held and the majority opinion honored for at least two years before the fluoridation question can be placed on ballot again. To learn more about this law, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2015. Oral Health Care Access in New Hampshire by Jaffee EM, Widmer JC, Speropolous LI, for Kids Count.
- 2010. New Hampshire Oral Health Data 2010. By the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, Oral Health Program. March. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2010. New Hampshire 2008-09 Third Grade Healthy Smiles – Healthy Growth Survey. Oral Health and Body Mass Index Assessment of New Hampshire 3rd Grade Students. By the N.H. Department of Health and Human Services. July. Funded by: HNH foundation, Northeast Delta Dental Foundation, New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2003. New Hampshire Oral Health Plan: A Framework for Action. Coalition for New Hampshire Oral Health Action. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN New Hampshire:
If you live in NH and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Katie Lajoie or Stuart Cooper, FAN’s New Hampshire state coordinators.
NEW HAMPSHIRE WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Bear Village South||Carroll||30||3.8|
|Birch Hill East||Carroll||375||2.7|
|Birch Hill West||Carroll||113||3.0|
|Black Mountain Meadow||Jackson||43||2.0|
|Blueberry Village Condominiums||Carroll||40||2.1|
|Brichview on Saco||Carroll||250||3.5|
|Brook View Village||Carroll||40||3.0|
|Cathedral Trail Lodges II||Carroll||170||1.5|
|Center of Hope||Carroll||25||3.8|
|Christmas Mtn Realty Trust||Carroll||203||2.3|
|Cobb Farm Development||Carroll||59||2.7|
|Eagle Mt House||Carroll||58||2.5|
|Echo Lake Woods||Carroll||112||3.5|
|Forest Park Village||Carroll||45||1.5|
|Four Seasons at Attitash||Carroll||440||3.0|
|Grantham Village School||Sull||85||2.6|
|Lake Ossipee Vill||Carroll||450||1.7|
|Lake Pine Condominums||Carroll||25||2.0|
|Lincoln Mon (East Only)||Grafton||2,750||3.0|
|Linderhoff Golf Course||Carroll||298||2.0|
|Loudon Elem School||Merrimack||365||3.0|
|Lyme Central School||Grafton||28||2.1|
|Melody Pines Condominiums||Carroll||125||3.5|
|Mountain River West||Grafton||200||1.8|
|Mountainside on Attitash||Carroll||150||2.5|
|North Ledge Water Company||Carroll||80||2.2|
|North Pines Association||Carroll||67||3.0|
|Oak Wood Heights||Carroll||30||2.0|
|Rocky River Resort||Carroll||100||3.8|
|Saco Ridge Village||Carroll||75||3.2|
|Saco River Forst Association||Carroll||65||2.0|
|Slope & Shore||Merrimack||180||2.5|
|South Pines Association||Carroll||65||3.0|
|Sweet Hill Kinder||Rockingham||53||2.5|
|TE Seaspm at Atitash||Carroll||480||3.8|
|Top Notch Condos||Carroll||88||2.5|
|Villagio Bianco Assn Ltd||Carroll||63||1.5|
|Weare Middle School||Hillsboro||230||2.1|
|Westmoreland Elem School||Ches||155||1.7|
|White Mt Resort||Grafton||208||1.7|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN NEW HAMPSHIRE:
In 2008, New Hampshire ranked #36 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (218,761 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|170,004||Coal-fired power plant||MERRIMACK STATION. 97 RIVER RD, BOW, New Hampshire 03304 (MERRIMACK)|
|47,000||Coal- and oil fired||SCHILLER STATION. 400 GOSLING RD, PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire 03801 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|920||Fabricated Metals||BRAZONICS INC. 94 TIDE MILL RD, HAMPTON, New Hampshire 03842 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|800||Coal – Oil – gas fired plant||PUBLIC SERVICE CO OF NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWINGTON STATION. 165 GOSLING RD, NEWINGTON, New Hampshire 03801 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|37||Stone/Clay/Glass||OSRAM SYLVANIA PRODUCTS INC. 131 PORTSMOUTH AVE, EXETER, New Hampshire 03833 (ROCKINGHAM)|