WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
WATER FLUORIDATION ACCIDENTS:
- NOVEMBER 1978 – Los Lunas: – Faulty electric relay switch causes concentrated fluoride to be pumped into water system. 34 people experience acute fluoride poisoning. Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, muscle twitching and excess salivation. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981 | Hoffman 1980)
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in New Mexico, click here.
- To see an updated list of New Mexico’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
New Mexico’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of New Mexico does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in NM. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. To learn more about these fluoridation laws, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2006. New Mexico Oral Health Surveillance System. NMORSS Special Report on Children 2006. Office of Oral Health, Health Systems Bureau, New Mexico Department of Health. Funding was provided by State Oral Health Collaborative Systems Grant, # H47MCO1945, Health Resources Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2006. New Mexico Oral Health Surveillance System. NMOHSS Special Report on the Border Counties 2006. Office of Oral Health, Health Systems Bureau, New Mexico Department of Health. Funding was provided by State Oral Health Collaborative Systems Grant, # H47MCO1945, Health Resources Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services.
— Dental fluorosis is mentioned on page 5. “The EPA- established Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG) for fluoride is currently 4 mg/L; higher levels increase the risk of severe enamel fluorosis (discoloration, enamel loss, and pitting of the teeth during tooth development in children).
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN New Mexico:
If you live in NM and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact David Albright, FAN’s New Mexico state coordinator.
New Mexico COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|157,428||May 18, 2016|
|Santa Fe||68,642||July 11, 2012|
|Albuquerque||500,000||April 11, 2012|
NEW MEXICO WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Angel West Apts||Colfax||40||1.6|
|Cannon Air Force Base||Curry||8,666||2.2|
|Canon Plaza||Rio Arriba||88||1.6|
|Cedar Grove||Santa Fe||50||3.4|
|Continental Mobile Home park||Lea||22||1.6|
|El Coroco||San Miguel||100||1.5|
|Enchanted Mesa M.H.P.||Rio Arriba||230||2.3|
|Fort Sumner||De Baca||1,269||2.4|
|Keyah #1 Community||San Juan||350||1.5|
|Lake Vallely Chapter||San Juan||30||13.0|
|Llano Chimayo||San Juan||63||2.3|
|Mariano Lake Chapter||McKinley||250||2.9|
|Nacshitti Public Sch||San Juan||300||1.5|
|Newcomb Community||San Juan||310||3.0|
|Pueblo Pintado School||McKinley||230||9.2|
|San Jose||San Miguel||200||2.2|
|Shady Grove T.S.||Hidalgo||50||2.6|
|Sheep Springs Community||San Juan||270||1.5|
|Sheep Springs North Community||San Juan||340||1.5|
|Standing Rock School||McKinley||110||2.8|
|Whiterock Chapter||San Juan||50||3.7|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN NEW MEXICO:
In 2008, New Mexico ranked #40 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (132,445 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|83,269||Coal-fired power plant||FOUR CORNERS STEAM ELECTRIC STATION. COUNTY RD 6675, FRUITLAND, New Mexico 87416 (SAN JUAN)|
|35,000||Coal-fired power plant||AN JUAN GENERATING STATION. COUNTY RD 6800, WATERFLOW, New Mexico 87421 (SAN JUAN)|
|12,800||Coal-fired power plant||TRI-STATE GENERATION & TRANSMISSION – ESCALANTE STATION. COUNTY RD 19, PREWITT, New Mexico 87045 (MCKINLEY)|
|955||Computers/Electronics||NTEL CORP. 4100 SARA RD MS RR5-491, RIO RANCHO, New Mexico 87124 (SANDOVAL)|
|347||Petroleum||NAVAJO REFINING CO. 501 E MAIN ST, ARTESIA, New Mexico 88210 (EDDY)|
|74||Petroleum||WESTERN REFINING SOUTHWEST INC – GALLUP REFINERY. I-40 EXIT 39, JAMESTOWN, New Mexico 87347 (MCKINLEY)|