WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
WATER FLUORIDATION ACCIDENTS:
- APRIL 1974 – Manly County: Fluoride feeder pump malfunctions, causing the fluoride solution to be fed into the water system continuously while water pump is not operating. 213 individuals experience nausea after drinking orange juice mixed with water. 201 students and 7 adults vomit. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981)
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in North Carolina, click here.
- To see an updated list of North Carolina’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
- High fluoride emissions were documented in a 1988 test of emissions from American Rockwool, Inc. in Spring Hope. American Rockwool makes insulation materials: Rock Wool, Slag, and Silica Mineral. The report notes:”The main purpose of the test was to determine fluoride emissions when producing rockwool with spent pot linings (SPL) salvaged from ALCOA’s aluminum production operations. It was desired to show to what extent fluoride emissions increase when SPL is substituted for coke. It was also desired to show to what extent the addition of lime decreases fluoride emissions. The filter used for fluoride testing was weighed for particulate determination. Sulfur dioxide was also measured… According to Ken Schuster, the real fluoride concern is that actual fluoride emissions not exceed six (6) pounds per hour and that the annual fluoride increase due to using SPL not exceed three tons.”
North Carolina’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of North Carolina does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in NC. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. NC also allows individual schools that have their own water supply to fluoridate school water. Administrative code Title 10A, r. 40A.0306 requires that the state Department of Health, as well as the students’ parents be notified prior to implementation of in-school fluoridation programs. To learn more about these fluoridation laws, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2013. North Carolina Oral Health Section. Kindergarten and Fifth Grade Oral Health Status. County Level Summary 2012-2013. North Carolina Division of Public Health, Dental Health Section. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2014. Revised Statewide Oral Health Strategic Plan: Collaboration for Integrated and Comprehensive Oral Health. North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. February 1. No mention of dental fluorosis.
— “White Spot Lesions’ is mentioned on page 22.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN North Carolina:
If you live in NC and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Evan Folds: email@example.com , FAN’s North Carolina state coordinator.
North Carolina COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Sparta||2,000||November 15, 2010|
(as of 2011)
NORTH CAROLINA WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN NORTH CAROLINA:
In 2008, North Carolina ranked #7 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,798,344 pounds). North Carolina also released 2,659 pounds of Fluorine into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|476,242||Coal-fired power plant||DUKE ENERGY CORP PLANT ALLEN. 253 PLANT ALLEN RD, BELMONT, North Carolina 28012 (GASTON)|
|303,407||Coal-fired power plant||CLIFFSIDE STEAM STATION. 573 DUKE POWER RD, MOORESBORO, North Carolina 28114 (RUTHERFORD)|
|260,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – MAYO ELECTRIC GENERATING PLANT. 10660 BOSTON RD, ROXBORO, North Carolina 27574 (PERSON)|
|220,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – ROXBORO STEAM ELECTRIC PLANT. 1700 DUNNAWAY RD, SEMORA, North Carolina 27343 (PERSON)|
|190,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – L V SUTTON ELECTRIC PLANT. 801 SUTTON STEAM PLANT RD, WILMINGTON, North Carolina 28401 (NEW HANOVER)|
|171,960||Coal-fired power plant||DUKE ENERGY CORP BELEWS CREEK STEAM STATION. 3195 PINE HALL RD, BELEWS CREEK, North Carolina 27009 (STOKES)|
|163,535||Stone/Clay/Glass||PINE HALL BRICK CO INC. 634 LINDSAY BRIDGE RD, MADISON, North Carolina 27025 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|148,697||Coal-fired power plant||DUKE ENERGY CORP RIVERBEND STEAM STATION. 175 STEAM PLANT RD, MOUNT HOLLY, North Carolina 28120 (GASTON)|
|110,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – CAPE FEAR STEAM ELECTRIC PLANT. 500 CP&L RD, MONCURE, North Carolina 27559 (CHATHAM)|
|104,393||Coal-fired power plant||DUKE ENERGY CORP BUCK STEAM STATION. 1555 DUKEVILLE RD, SPENCER, North Carolina 28159 (ROWAN)|
|100,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – H F LEE STEAM ELECTRIC PLANT. 1677 OLD SMITHFIELD RD, GOLDSBORO, North Carolina 27530 (WAYNE)|
|89,508||Chemicals /Phosphate||PCS PHOSPHATE CO INC AURORA DIV. 1530 NC HWY 306 S, AURORA, North Carolina 27806 (BEAUFORT)|
|80,865||Coal-fired power plant||DUKE ENERGY CORP DAN RIVER STEAM STATION. 900 S EDGEWOOD RD, EDEN, North Carolina 27288 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|56,499||Coal-fired power plant||MARSHALL STEAM STATION. 8320 E NC 150 HWY, TERRELL, North Carolina 28682 (CATAWBA)|
|56,100||Paper||BLUE RIDGE PAPER PRODUCTS INC (DBA EVERGREEN PACKAGING). 175 MAIN ST PO BOX 4000, CANTON, North Carolina 28716 (HAYWOOD)|
|53,000||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO – W H WEATHERSPOON PLANT. 491 POWER PLANT RD, LUMBERTON, North Carolina 28358 (ROBESON)|
|38,416||Stone/Clay/Glass||LEE BRICK & TILE CO. 3704 HAWKINS AVE, SANFORD, North Carolina 27330 (LEE)|
|37,432||Stone/Clay/Glass||GENERAL SHALE BRICK INC MONCURE FACILITY PLANTS 24 & 25. 300 BRICK PLANT RD, MONCURE, North Carolina 27559 (CHATHAM)|
|33,229||Coal-fired power plant||CPI USA NORTH CAROLINA LLC. 1281 POWER HOUSE DR SE, SOUTHPORT, North Carolina 28461 (BRUNSWICK)|
|26,122||Stone/Clay/Glass||BORAL BRICKS INC SALISBURY PLANT. 700 S LONG ST, EAST SPENCER, North Carolina 28039 (ROWAN)|
|25,851||Stone/Clay/Glass||STATESVILLE BRICK CO. 391 BRICK YARD RD, STATESVILLE, North Carolina 28677 (IREDELL)|
|22,440||Stone/Clay/Glass||HANSON BRICK ROSEBORO PLANT. 2981 AUTRY HWY 24, ROSEBORO, North Carolina 28382 (SAMPSON)|
|18,937||Stone/Clay/Glass||HANSON BRICK – MONROE PLANT. 2304 BRICKYARD RD, HWY 74, MONROE, North Carolina 28110 (UNION)|
|4,479||Coal-fired power plant||ROANOKE VALLEY ENERGY FACILITY. 290 POWER PL, WELDON, North Carolina 27890 (HALIFAX)|
|4,328||Coal-fired power plant||EDGECOMB GENCO LLC. 6358 OLD BATTLEBORO RD, BATTLEBORO, North Carolina 27809 (EDGECOMBE)|
|2,659||FLUORINE||NASH BRICK CO INC. 532 NASH BRICK RD, ENFIELD, North Carolina 27823 (HALIFAX)|
|2,200||Coal-fired power plant||CAROLINA POWER & LIGHT CO-ASHEVILLE PLANT. 200 CP&L DR, ARDEN, North Carolina 28704 (BUNCOMBE)|
|500||Computers/Electronics||CREE INC. 4600 SILICON DR, DURHAM, North Carolina 27703 (DURHAM)|
|168||Fabricated Metals||BALL METAL BEVERAGE CONTAINER CORP. 1900 BARNES ST, REIDSVILLE, North Carolina 27320 (ROCKINGHAM)|
|20||Fabricated Metals||REXAM BEVERAGE CAN CO RE: WINSTON SALEM PLANT. 4000 OLD MILWAUKEE LN, WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina 27107 (FORSYTH)|
|15||Chemicals||GE CO. 3901 CASTLE HAYNE RD NC HWY 133, WILMINGTON, North Carolina 28401 (NEW HANOVER)|