WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 52.2% – ranked #43 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- Utah’s Department of Health’s interactive map on fluoride in water at https://health.utah.gov/oralhealth/fluoride.php.
February 2019: Drinking water contamination event in Sandy. See all news reports.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Utah, click here. See the March 7th letter from Fluoride Action Network to the Mayor of Sandy.
- To see an updated list of Utah’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
- APRIL 1, 2013: The Safe Drinking Water Disclosure Act (HB 72) was signed into law by the Governor. This Act takes effect on July 1, 2013, and includes this important provision that no other U.S. state has:
A public water system described in Subsection (8) shall obtain, for each quantity of fluoride acquired to fluoridate public drinking water supplies, a batch-specific certificate of analysis that represents the complete composition of the formulation of the undiluted raw fluoride substance, in percent or parts by weight, for each chemical and contaminant in the batch.
Utah’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The Utah Safe Drinking Water Act, Utah Code Annexed § 19-4-111, states that voters must approve the addition of fluoride into their water supply by a majority vote in an election. Prior to the election, a petition must be completed requesting the referendum on fluoride, or a local governing body must pass a resolution calling for a referendum vote. Removal of fluoride from the water must go through the same process; petition and referendum vote. After a vote on fluoridation has occurred, there must be a 4-year period before another vote can take place. To learn more about this law, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2012. Utah’s Plan of Action to Promote Oral Health. A Public-Private Partnership, Utah Oral Health Coalition. December 20. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Utah:
If you live in UT and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Sharon Clark, FAN’s Utah state coordinator.
Utah COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Tooele||November 8, 2005|
|Nibly City||November 7, 2000|
|Hyrum City||November 7, 2000|
|Providence City||November 7, 2000|
|Smithfield City||November 7, 2000|
|Logan City||November 7, 2000|
|River Heights||November 7, 2000|
UTAH WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water Systems||County||Population||Fluoride (ppm)|
|Daggett County Water & Sewer||Daggett||300||2.0|
|Elkhorn Operating Co||San Juan||200||1.5|
|Winchester Hills Water||Washington||105||1.5|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN UTAH:
In 2008, Utah ranked #30 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (382,445 pounds). Utah industry also released 28,289 pounds of Fluorine into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Total HF Releases (in pounds)||Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|103,000||Coal-fired power plant||PACIFICORP CARBON PLANT. INTERSECTION HWY 6 & 191, HELPER, Utah 84526 (CARBON)|
|99,800||Coal-fired power plant||PACIFICORP ENERGY HUNTINGTON PLANT. 10 MILES W OF HUNTINGTON, HUNTINGTON, Utah 84528 (EMERY)|
|73,400||Coal-fired power plant||PACIFICORP HUNTER PLANT. 3 MILES S OF CASTLE DALE ON STATE HIGHTWAY 10, CASTLE DALE, Utah 84513 (EMERY)|
|37,817||Coal-fired power plant||BONANZA POWER PLANT. 12500 E 25500 S, VERNAL, Utah 84078 (UINTAH)|
|27,000||Coal-fired power plant||INTERMOUNTAIN POWER GENERATING STATION. 850 W BRUSH WELLMAN RD, DELTA, Utah 84624 (MILLARD)|
|26,853||Metal Mining||BRUSH RESOURCES INC MILL. 10 MILES N HWY 6, DELTA, Utah 84624 (MILLARD)|
|4,200||Computers/Electronics||IM FLASH TECHNOLOGIES LLC. 1550 E 3400 N, LEHI, Utah 84043 (UTAH)|
|3,005||Petroleum||CHEVRON PRODUCTS CO – SALT LAKE REFINERY. 2351 N 1100 W, SALT LAKE CITY, Utah 84116 (SALT LAKE)|
|2,452||Computers/Electronics||FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR. 3333 W 9000 S, WEST JORDAN, Utah 84088 (SALT LAKE)|
|2,448||Petroleum||BIG WEST OIL LLC. 333 W CENTER ST, NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah 84054 (DAVIS)|
|2,151||Stone/Clay/Glass||INTERSTATE BRICK. 9780 S 5200 W, WEST JORDAN, Utah 84081 (SALT LAKE)|
|255||Transportation Equipment||BARNES AEROSPACE OGDEN DIV BLDG 2. 1483 W 2550 S, OGDEN, Utah 84401 (WEBER)|
|43||Primary Metals||WESTERN ZIRCONIUM. 10,000 W 900 S, OGDEN, Utah 84404 (WEBER)|
|20||Petroleum||HOLLY REFINING & MARKETING CO WOODS CROSS REFINERY. 393 S 800 W, WOODS CROSS, Utah 84087 (DAVIS)|
|1||Hazardous Waste/Solvent Recovery||CLEAN HARBORS ARAGONITE LLC. 11600 N APTUS RD, GRANTSVILLE, Utah 84029 (TOOELE)|