WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 16.2% – ranked #50 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
For a quick overview, Michael Dolan, in his November 2021 Fluoridation Review, listed these cities and towns in New Jersey:
This list was compiled from information provided by New Jersey American Water and the New Jersey Dental Association.
Fluoridated cities and towns: Aberdeen, Allenhurst, Allentown, Asbury Park, Atlantic City, Bay Head, Bedminster, Bradley Beach, Branchburg Township, Brick Township, Bridgewater, Colts Neck, Cranbury, Crosswicks, Deal, Dover Township, Eatontown, Egg Harbor City, Elberon, Ewing, Fair Haven, Far Hills, Flemington, Fort Dix, Freehold, Hamilton, Highlands Borough, Hightstown, The Hills in Basking Ridge, Hillsborough Township, Holmdel, Hopewell Township, Interlaken, Jamesburg Township, Kingston, Lavalette, Lawrence Township, Little Silver, Loch Arbor, Long Branch, Manville, Mantaloking, McGuire Air Force base, Middletown, Monmouth Beach, Montgomery, Mt. Laurel, Neptune, Neptune City, Newton, Normandy Beach, North Hanover Township, Ocean Grove, Oceanport, Ocean Township, Peapack-Gladstone, Pennington, Plainsboro, Princeton Borough, Princeton Township, Rahway, Raritan Borough, Raritan Township, Readington, Red Bank, Rumson, Sea Bright, Shrewsbury Borough, Shrewsbury Township, Somerville, Three Bridges, Tinton Falls, Wanamassa, Washington, West Long Branch, West Windsor, Whitehouse, Whitehouse Station, Willingboro, Wrightstown Borough.
According to the New Jersey Dental Association, the following locations have fluoridated water (Jan 11, 2019 article):
- Atlantic County — Atlantic City, Egg Harbor City,
- Burlington County — McGuire Air Force Base, Willingboro, Mt. Laurel, Fort Dix, Aqua
- Gloucester County — Washington
- Hunterdon County — Flemington, Readington, Three Bridges, Whitehouse, Whitehouse Station
- Mercer County — Ewing, Hamilton, Hightstown, Hopewell Township, Lawrence, Pennington, Princeton, West Windsor
- Monmouth County — Allentown, Colts Neck, Freehold, New Jersey American Coastal North
- Somerset County — New Jersey American
- Sussex County — Newton
- Union County — Rahway
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in New Jersey, click here.
- To see an updated list of New Jersey’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
New Jersey’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of New Jersey does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in NJ. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. To learn more about NJ’s fluoridation law, click here.
- January 2014. Proposed: New Jersey Public Water Supply Fluoridation Act, Senate Bill No 1180 sponsored by Joseph F. Vitale (D) and Loretta Weinberg (D). Follow at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2009. Pediatric Oral Health Action Plan for New Jersey’s Children Aged 0-6. Funded by New Jersey Head Start-State Collaboration Grant and The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors. April. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN New Jersey:
If you live in NJ and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Harvey Kunz, FAN’s New Jersey state coordinator.
New Jersey COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Beach Haven||1,170||April 2007|
|Pequannock||13,888||November 7, 2000|
NEW JERSEY WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Clayton Water Dept||Gloucester||6,300||1.6|
|Glassboro Water Dept||Gloucester||14,500||1.9|
|Mantua TWP MUA||Gloucester||7,200||2.1|
|Pitman Water Dept||Gloucester||10,500||1.8|
|South Jersey Wtr Supply Co||Gloucester||1,100||1.5|
|Wenonah Water Dept||Gloucester||2,300||1.6|
|West Deptford Twp Water Dept||Gloucester||18,500||1.8|
|Woodbury Heights Water Util||Gloucester||5,039||2.5|
|Woodbury Water Dept||Gloucester||12,412||2.0|
|Woodstown Water Dept||Salem||3,250||2.2|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
The Division of Air Quality
• Additions: Sulfuryl fluoride (Cal 06)
• Dichlorodifluoromethane – Changed from 200 ug/m3 (HEAST 97) to 100 ug/m3 (USEPA 14)
Solvay in West Deptford produces PVDF
The West Deptford site was established in 1986 as Ausimont SpA, which was acquired by Solvay in 2002. In 2003 it changed its name to Solvay Solexis and was merged into Solvay Specialty Polymers USA, LLC in 2012, as it remains today. The site employs 140 people and produces fluorinated gases, 142b and VF2. It also produces polyvinilidene fluoride (PVDF), a semi-crystalline engineering thermoplastic and Tecnoflon, which is a fluorinated elastomer. The latter product is used on the Solvay Impulse airplane, an innovative plane that will fly around the world in 2015 fueled only by the sun. Solvay is a main sponsor and a technology partner.
10 Leonard Lane, West Deptford, NJ 08086
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN NEW JERSEY:
In 2008, New Jersey ranked #37 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (193,837 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|82,005||Coal-fired power plant||PSEG POWER LLC HUDSON GENERATING STATION. DUFFIELD & VAN KEUREN AVE, JERSEY CITY, New Jersey 07306 (HUDSON)|
|79,005||Coal-fired power plant||MERCER GENERATING STATION. 2512 LAMBERTON RD, HAMILTON, New Jersey 08611 (MERCER)|
|31,416||Coal-fired power plant||BL ENGLAND GENERATING STATION. 900 N SHORE RD, BEESLEYS POINT, New Jersey 08223 (CAPE MAY)|
|571||Chemicals||SOLVAY SOLEXIS INC. 10 LEONARD LN, THOROFARE, New Jersey 08086 (GLOUCESTER)|
|290||Petroleum||VALERO REFINING CO – NEW JERSEY. 800 BILLINGSPORT RD, PAULSBORO, New Jersey 08066 (GLOUCESTER)|
|137||Coal-fired power plant||LOGAN GENERATING CO LP. 75 RT 130, SWEDESBORO, New Jersey 08085 (GLOUCESTER)|
|124||Coal-fired power plant||CHAMBERS COGENERATION LP. 500 SHELL RD, CARNEYS POINT, New Jersey 08069 (SALEM)|
|107||Primary Metals||SWEPCO TUBE LLC. 1 CLIFTON BLVD, CLIFTON, New Jersey 07015 (PASSAIC)|
|92||Chemicals||MALLINCKRODT BAKER INC. 600 N BROAD ST, PHILLIPSBURG, New Jersey 08865 (WARREN)|
|90||Chemicals||DUPONT CHAMBERS WORKS. RT 130, DEEPWATER, New Jersey 08023 (SALEM)|