WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
2018: 88.8% – ranked #17 among the states (100% fluoridated is ranked #1)
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Tennessee, click here.
- To see an updated list of Tennessee’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Tennessee’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- The State of Tennessee does not mandate fluoridation. Local governments control fluoridation policy in TN. City councils can begin or discontinue fluoridation at their discretion, or by a referendum vote. Each community’s fluoridation ordinance is unique. To learn more about these fluoridation ordinances, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2010. Tennessee Smiles: The UT Grassroots Oral Health Outreach Initiative. By Lewis MW, Wasson W, Scarbecz M, Aubertin MA, Woods M, Himel VT. Journal of the Tennessee Dental Association. 91-4. No mention of dental fluorosis. • See reference 67
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Tennessee:
If you live in TN and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Karyn French, FAN’s Tennessee state coordinator.
Tennessee COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Sneedville||1,346||June 13, 2019|
|Bruceton||1,478||April 16, 2019|
|Jonesborough||5,000||Feb 13, 2017|
|DeKalb Utility District Board||?||Dec 22, 2016|
|Soddy Daisy||13,000||July 2016|
|Oliver Springs||3,300||Sept 4, 2014|
|Camden||3,620||June 12, 2014|
|Columbia||27,000||Sept 25, 2013|
|Kenton||1,525||May 8, 2013|
|Lawrenceburg||11,000||Oct 18, 2011|
|Hohenwald||4,000||Sept 6, 2011|
|Spring Hill||30,000||August 15, 2011|
|Waynesboro||2,437||August 15, 2011|
|Tellico||900||Nov 4, 2010|
|Selmer||4,500||June 10, 2010|
|Lafayette||4,000||Nov 9, 2005|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN TENNESSEE:
In 2008, South Dakota ranked #13 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (2,233,874 pounds). The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|450,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA JOHNSONVILLE FOSSIL PLANT. 535 STEAM PLANT RD, NEW JOHNSONVILLE, Tennessee 37134 (HUMPHREYS)|
|450,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA KINGSTON FOSSIL PLANT. 714 SWAN POND RD, HARRIMAN, Tennessee 37748 (ROANE)|
|260,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA JOHN SEVIER FOSSIL PLANT. 611 OLD HWY 70, ROGERSVILLE, Tennessee 37857 (HAWKINS)|
|196,650||Aluminum smelter||ALCOA. 2300 N WRIGHT RD, ALCOA, Tennessee 37701 (BLOUNT)|
|192,347||Chemicals, plastics.||EASTMAN CHEMICAL CO TENNESSEE OPERATIONS. 100 EASTMAN RD, KINGSPORT, Tennessee 37662 (SULLIVAN)|
|190,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA GALLATIN FOSSIL PLANT. 1499 STEAM PLANT RD, GALLATIN, Tennessee 37066 (SUMNER)|
|180,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA BULL RUN FOSSIL PLANT. 1265 EDGEMOOR RD, CLINTON, Tennessee 37716 (ANDERSON)|
|170,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA ALLEN FOSSIL PLANT. 2574 PLANT RD, MEMPHIS, Tennessee 38109 (SHELBY)|
|70,000||Coal-fired power plant||US TVA CUMBERLAND FOSSIL PLANT. 815 CUMBERLAND CITY RD, CUMBERLAND CITY, Tennessee 37050 (STEWART)|
|34,435||Food/Beverages/Tobacco||TATE & LYLE LOUDON. 198 BLAIR BEND DR, LOUDON, Tennessee 37774 (LOUDON)|
|19,752||Chemicals||DUPONT OLD HICKORY PLANT. 1002 INDUSTRIAL RD, OLD HICKORY, Tennessee 37138 (DAVIDSON)|
|15,778||Stone/Clay/Glass||BORAL BRICKS INC GL EASON PLANT. OLD HWY 22 PO BOX 72, GLEASON, Tennessee 38229 (WEAKLEY)|
|4,735||Primary Metals||BRISTOL METALS LP. 390 BRISTOL METALS RD, BRISTOL, Tennessee 37621 (SULLIVAN)|
|128||Computers/Electronics||ADVANCED MEASUREMENT TECHNOLOGY. 801 S ILLINOIS AVE, OAK RIDGE, Tennessee 37831 (ANDERSON)|
|34||Petroleum||VALERO REFINING CO – TENNESSEE LLC. 2385 RIVERPORT RD, MEMPHIS, Tennessee 38109 (SHELBY)|
|15||Stone/Clay/Glass||A & W READY MIX CONCRETE PLT 1. 151 KYKER FERRY RD, KODAK, Tennessee 37764 (SEVIER)|