A fumigation company discovered the body inside a tented home in the 11500 block of See Drive, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
“The owner of the home went back to his residence and entered for unknown reasons,” Lt. Marc Verlich said. “He was overcome by the poisonous gases.”
The chemical used in the home was the gas fumigant Vikane, authorities said.
About 10 sheriff’s deputies in hazardous materials suits responded to the scene after the L.A. County Fire Department was initially dispatched at 3 p.m. Tuesday.
The dead man, who authorities said was in his 40s, was not identified. There was no evidence of foul play in the death, fire Capt. Jason Centeno said.