In the last few days the Health Minister of Israel has received intense political bashing over her ending of mandatory fluoridation. In response, FAN organized an Open Letter of support for the Health Minister. Within a 24-hour period we received more than 130 professional signers, including 31 PhDs, 18 doctors, 15 dentists and many others working in the dental, medical and environmental fields. Below is the press release we sent out today:
Scientists Confirm Israel Health Minister’s Fluoridation Concerns are Justified
Scientists and professionals from around the world applaud the decision made by Israel Health Minister, Yael German, to end mandatory fluoridation in Israel to protect the health of Israelis and decry the political backlash she’s received to reverse her scientifically sound decision.
• delivering medicine via the water supply is reckless
• swallowing fluoride delivers risks without benefits
• over 100 animal and 45+ human studies link fluoride to brain deficits
• non-fluoridated and fluoridated countries have similar cavity rates
• low-income families can achieve better dental health by safer means
• the US FDA says fluoride is an unapproved drug
• fluoride-overdose symptoms – dental fluorosis (discolored teeth) – is prevalent among America’s youth. Racial disparities in the U.S. exist for Black and Mexican American youth as this demographic have significantly higher levels of the more severe forms of dental fluorosis-while the US still faces a dental health crisis.
They write: “Your position is a model for the public health community both in Israel and in our respective communities. It is sound, based on the current literature and the need to protect the health of citizens from unnecessary ingestion of fluoride.”
The scientists offer to send Paul Connett, PhD, co-author of The Case Against Fluoride, to Israel to debate any pro-fluoridation expert.
According to Professor Paul Connett, director of the Fluoride Action Network,
“I doubt very much that we will need to purchase an air ticket to do this because almost invariably when the very vocal promoters of fluoridation are challenged to debate their confidence seems to evaporate. But sadly they frequently get away with their bullying tactics because so few people are knowledgeable on the scientific details of this issue and do not realize how weak the pro-fluoridation position is, despite the ‘impressive’ endorsements it receives in pro-fluoridation countries like the U.S.”
For the text of the letter and a full listing of the signers go to http://fluoridealert.org/
Additionally, over 4600 professionals signed onto a FAN petition opposing fluoridation here: http://www.fluoridealert.org/
Any professional who wants to sign onto either the open letter or the professionals’ statement can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with name, address and credentials.
See all FAN Bulletins