Ireland May Be Next Country to End Fluoridation
For years now the momentum has been building for the worldwide fluoride-free movement, with more and more communities and a country (Israel) recently ending the practice. As the dominos continue to fall we get closer to confining this medical malpractice to the history books. The next domino in line appears to be Ireland, the last remaining country in the world that mandates fluoridation nationwide.
On Monday, October 6, Dublin’s City Council passed a motion by a vote of 22-20 calling for the immediate cessation of water fluoridation in Ireland. Dublin is the capital and largest city in Ireland, and home to more than 500,000 residents. The vote is likely to be the tipping point in the national effort that is gaining significant momentum due to campaigners like the West Cork Fluoride Free Campaign, scientist Declan Waugh, The Girl Against Fluoride, and the hard-working fluoridation fighters Robert Pocock and Gladys Ryan who preceded them.
The timing of the Dublin vote couldn’t be better as the issue is currently being debated in the House of the Oireachtas (Irish Legislature). Senator Mary Ann O’Brien made a motion to end fluoridation because of the “fundamental human right of every Irish citizen to choose whether or not they have their water medicated with fluoride given that they are now paying for it.” Senator O’Brien wrote a powerful op-ed for the Irish Independent on October 1st explaining in detail why she was bringing the motion.
- Peel, Ontario—Liesa Cianchino, chairperson of Concerned Residents of Peel to End Water Fluoridation, launched a lawsuit against the Peel Region and the Province of Ontario, Canada. The lawsuit challenges the constitutionality of adding fluoride to municipal drinking water and points out that the practice is a violation of the Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act. The action will be heard in Ontario Superior Court in Brampton.
- Ottawa, Ontario—Citizens have begun a campaign in Canada’s Capital to obtain a permanent injunction on the city’s fluoridation program. They have started a crowd-funding campaign called “Children Deserve A Beautiful Smile Too,” which is currently “closed” on Indiegogo, but the campaign is still active and those who are interested in joining or supporting this effort are urged to contact organizer Bill Albrecht (email@example.com).
- Sonoma, California—Last week Richard Shames, MD and Karilee Shames, RN, PhD wrote a column for The Sonoma County Gazette entitled, “Why We Changed Our Minds About Fluoridation.” This is a must-read, especially for anyone with thyroid or hormone problems. Please read and share.
Paul Connett’s Upcoming Speaking Events
FAN’s Director and co-author of the “Case Against Fluoride” will be traveling across the US from October 10-20 to speak and even hold a debate on fluoridation. This will be a good opportunity to meet with Paul if you live nearby. Please share with friends who live in these communities:
- Traverse City, MI, Oct 10 and Oct 12 (contact Ben Hansen, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Boyne City, MI, Oct 11, public library 3 pm DEBATE. (contact Jinny Heick, email@example.com
- Seattle, WA area, Oct 14-16 (contact John Misko, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prince George, BC, Oct 17, 18 (contact Kathi, email@example.com )
- Dallas, TX Oct 19,20 (contact Regina, regina.imburgia@gmail.
October’s International Fluoride Free Teleconference (IFFT) will take place this Sunday, October 12 at 5:00pm (Eastern Time). The call will feature Clint Griess, the founder of the IFFT and member of Clean Water California. He will discuss the challenge of educating others about the dangers of fluoridation, and how to overcome the primary communication obstacles to maximize your influence and help you maintain positive relationships with you educate.
If you missed September’s Teleconference featuring Dan Stockin discussing the never-before-seen information uncovered through Freedom of Information Act request, you can now listen to the audio and gain access to the revealing documents by clicking here. Also see the most recent Fluoride-gate press release.
News you may have missed:
–Healdsburg Hears from Dr. Bill Osmunson (California)
–Topsfield TM Opts for Further Study of Fluoride (Massachusetts)
–Fluoridation Question Provokes Heated Debate in Oak Bluffs (Massachusetts)
–Lions Too Have Dental Problems (India)
–Fluoride Opponents Continue to Fight (New Zealand)
–Is Fluoride Hurting Iceland’s Farm Animals? (Iceland)
See all FAN bulletins