According to a release from Alabaster water, the spill happened at a water plant on Winterhaven Drive Wednesday morning at around 7:15 a.m.
According to the CDC’s website, exposure to liquid fluoride by skin contact, inhalation, or ingestion include irritation of the skin, eyes, mucous membranes, and respiratory tract; accumulation of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema); nausea and vomiting; gastric pain; irregular heart rate (cardiac arrhythmia); tissue destruction and burns; low blood calcium (hypocalcemia); and possibly death. The adverse effects depend on the amount of contact and the duration.
The company said, a pipe fitting on the fluoride holding tank broke while being adjusted. This allowed liquid fluoride to spill from the on-site holding tank into the secondary containment structure.
No one was hurt during this liquid fluoride release. No liquid fluoride has been released from the secondary containment structure. Local fire departments are currently on-site, and a hazardous waste contractor is in route to remove the liquid fluoride.
Clean-up of the fluoride should be completed this evening.
For residents who have questions, please contact Alabaster Water at 205-663-6155.
*Original article online at https://abc3340.com/news/local/1500-gallons-of-liquid-fluoride-spills-at-alabaster-water-plant