An Environmental Protection Agency investigation into a chlorine spill at the Chemifloc manufacturing facility in Shannon last December has found that the company stored materials incorrectly and wasn’t fully compliant with the conditions of its licence.
Eight people were hospitalised following the incident at the plant in the Smithstown Industrial Estate on December 20 and it took several weeks before they were able to return to work.
The EPA report also criticised the labelling system for some of the acids and confirmed that the chlorine gas emissions extended beyond the boundary of the Chemifloc site, affecting nearby businesses…
The company also has a 40,000 sq. ft. dedicated storage facility in Foynes where it receives and stores the raw materials used in production. Chemifloc counts all the Irish local authorities among its extensive list of customers and has been retained by the Health Service Executive (HSE) since 1991 to supply fluoride to all drinking water plants in the country.
Headquartered in Shannon, the privately-owned, indigenous company employs 40 people.