Garhwa: The special rapporteur of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), S Jalaja, who visited the fluorosis-affected Pratappur village of the district on Friday, expressed grave concern on the situation.
“The situation is alarming and steps should be taken to mitigate the problem,” said Jalaja as a large number of villagers including children, were found crippled.
Fluorosis is a crippling and painful disease caused by intake of fluoride.
Fluoride can enter the body through drinking water, food, toothpaste, mouth rinses and other dental products; drugs, and fluoride dust and fumes from industries using fluoride containing salt and or hydrofluoric acid.
The disease can be caused by water, food, drug and cosmetic and industrial pollution.
Jalaja was accompanied by Garhwa deputy development commissioner Ravindra Prasad Singh and civil surgeon Raj Mohan, among others. executive engineer of drinking water and sanitation department Nazre Imam and other senior officials.
During her two and a half hours visit to Pratappur village, 15 km from the district headquarters, Jalaja also met the affected people and took stock of the situation. She also met villagers of Mainaha which is the most affected area of the village. Villagers alleged that although the situation was alarming, the village was so far neglected by the district administration.
The special rapporteur directed the executive engineer of the drinking water and sanitation department and assistant engineer of the power department to ensure 4-6 hour power supply to the village and provide safe drinking water with the next one week.