WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
Water fluoridation accidents:
- AUGUST 1993 – Poplarville: Fluoride levels at local restaurant reach 48 ppm, perhaps as high as 200 ppm, after accident with town fluoridation equipment. At least 34 of the restaurant’s patrons are poisoned. A study in Public Health Reports finds that “The most common symptoms were nausea (97%), vomiting (68%), diarrhea (65%), and abdominal cramps (53%); 14 people (41%) reported headaches, four (12%) reported burning sensations in the throat or chest, and one person reported excessive salivation. None recalled an abnormal taste to the water.” (SOURCE: Penman 1997)
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Mississippi, click here.
- To see an updated list of Mississippi’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Mississippi’s FLUORIDATION LAW:
- Mississippi Administrative Code 15-6-6:100 mandates that all community water systems serving at least two-thousand people implement fluoridation. No system will be required to comply unless sufficient funds are provided by the MS State Department of Health. To learn more about this code, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2006. State of Mississippi Oral Health Plan 2006-2010. By the Mississippi Department of Health. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- Undated. Every Smile Counts. The Oral Health of Mississippi’s Third Grade Children 2009-2010 School Year. By the Mississippi State Department of Health, Office of Oral Health. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Mississippi:
If you live in MS and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Stuart Cooper, FAN’s campaign coordinator.
Mississippi COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE REJECTED FLUORIDATION:
|Clarksdale||October 25, 2004|
MISSISSIPPI WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Golden Triangle #3||Clay||324||1.8|
|Lawrence Co W/A||Lawrence||2,048||1.7|
|MS Sheriff’s Boys/Girls Ranch||Lowndes||35||1.6|
|Mud Creek W/A #1||Pontotoc||897||1.6|
|Sun Creek W/A – Cedar Bluff||Clay||624||1.6|
|Sun Creek W/A – Pheba||Clay||256||1.9|
|Toccopola W/A #1||Pontotoc||585||3.5|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN MISSISSIPPI:
In 2008, Mississippi ranked #23 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (807,381 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|