latest news: in Ethiopia
Showing 10 of 19 Articles:
Quality and Safety of Rural Community Drinking Water Sources in Guto Gida District, Oromia, Ethiopia
Abstract The quality of drinking water has always been a major public health concern, especially in developing countries where access to improved water supply and sanitation is very low. This study aimed to assess the bacteriological and physicochemical quality of rural community drinking water sources in the Guto Gida district. A cross-sectional study was conducted […]Ethiopia
Potential Human Health Risks Due to Groundwater Fluoride Contamination: A Case Study in the Bilate River Basin of Southern Main Ethiopian Rift, Ethiopia
Abstract The main focus of the present research was to examine the appropriateness of groundwater resources for drinking purposes in the Bilate River Basin of Southern Main Ethiopian Rift, Ethiopia. The groundwater quality index (GWQI), fluoride pollution index (FPI), and human health risk were used to examine the human health risk factors associated with the intake […]Ethiopia
NIH-funded study will help determine impacts of chronic fluoride exposure on community bone health in Ethiopia
Tulane researcher selects Echolight for monitoring bone quality in fluoride-exposed populations NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — A study funded by NIH (National Institutes of Health) will focus on environmental impacts on community bone quality. The study will be led by Dr. Tewodros Godebo, assistant professor of environmental health sciences at Tulane University School of […]Ethiopia
Hydrochemical Data on Groundwater Quality for Drinking and Irrigation Use Around Dangila Town, Northwest Ethiopia.
Abstract The groundwater of volcanic aquifers, dissected by various structures and affected by several volcanic eruption events, varies in quality. A large number of rural people depend on shallow aquifers tapped by shallow hand wells and springs. On the other hand, the urban population is dependant on deep aquifers using drilled boreholes. The location of […]Ethiopia
Low-cost ultrasound reveals fluoride-linked bone loss
Copyright: Tewodros Rango Godebo, Tulane University in the United States Researchers assessed bone loss linked to high amounts of fluoride in drinking water They found that ultrasound could be used to detect fluoride-linked bone loss in rural populations Ultrasound offer portable and low-cost solution [NAIROBI] An innovative ultrasound technique could be used to assess bone […]Ethiopia
Groundwater quality evaluation for different uses in the lower Ketar Watershed, Ethiopia.
Abstract Groundwater quality samples from 33 wells were collected in the lower Ketar watershed (Ethiopia) to study its suitability for domestic and irrigation purposes. Samples were evaluated for major ions and physicochemical properties. In 58% of the samples analyzed, Ca2+ is the dominant cation and Na+ dominates the remaining 42% of the samples. Among the […]Ethiopia
Removal of Fluoride from Drinking Water by Sorption Using Diatomite Modified with Aluminum Hydroxide.
Exposure to fluoride beyond the recommended level for longer duration causes both dental and skeletal fluorosis. Thus, the development of cost-effective, locally available, and environmentally benign adsorbents for fluoride removal from contaminated water sources is absolutely required. In the present study, diatomaceous earth (diatomite) locally available in Ethiopia, modified by treating it with an aluminum […]Ethiopia Water Treatment
Spanish, Ethiopian scientists deliver new tech to reduce fluorosis
Millions of Ethiopians are exposed to fluorosis, a bone disease caused by drinking Rift Valley water tainted with high levels of naturally occurring fluoride. Now scientists say they have a solution, and they found it in another type of abundant mineral in the region called zeolites. On Saturday, the researchers from Spain’s Higher Council for […]Ethiopia Water Treatment
Fluoride concentration in ground water and prevalence of dental fluorosis in Ethiopian Rift Valley: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Abstract BACKGROUND: The concentration of fluoride in ground drinking water greater than the world health organization standard value imposes a serious health, social and economic problem in developing countries. In the Ethiopian Rift Valley where deep wells are the major source of drinking water, high fluoride level is expected. Though many epidemiological studies on fluoride […]Ethiopia
Ethiopia’s water problem: Excessive fluoride treated with bones
See fascinating short video at the start of this short article High fluoride levels in water cause teeth discolouration and in extreme cases, bone decay. In many countries, fluoride is added to water and toothpaste to make teeth stronger. But, when there is too much fluoride, it can be toxic. In Ethiopia, at least 16 […]Ethiopia Water Treatment