The Edgartown board of health will be holding a forum for the public to learn about the value of community water fluoridation.
Water fluoridation has been a contentious topic nationally and on the Island. Proponents of water fluoridation say having fluoride put into the public water is beneficial, as it strengthens teeth and prevents cavities. Opponents of water fluoridation say it is not healthy, and that the addition of fluoride into public water should not be a decision of local, state, or federal government, but the decision of each individual household.
Edgartown voters were angered in November when Edgartown board of health members Harold Zadeh and Dr. Garrett Orazem voted 2-1 in favor of adding fluoride to the water. Board of health member Kathie Case abstained.
The decision on whether to add fluoride to the town water supply will be up to the voters on the Edgartown annual town ballot on April 12.
The forum panel is still being assembled, but currently consists of Bruce Golden, DDS; Dr. David Samuels, a periodontist; and Matt Poole, the Edgartown board of health agent. The Rev. Chip Seadale of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church will be the forum moderator.
The forum will be primarily a listening session. “There will be an opportunity for public participation,” Poole said. “We are trying to make this a focused conversation on the Edgartown board of health proposal.”
The forum will be held in the public meeting room at the Edgartown Public Library from 7 to 9 pm on Thursday, March 8.
*Original article online at http://www.mvtimes.com/2018/02/28/edgartown-hold-public-forum-water-fluoridation/
- Apr 12, 2018, Fluoride Loses
- Apr 5, 2018, Letter: Vote for clean water
- Apr 5, 2018, Experience or New Direction Anchors Edgartown Selectmen Race
- Apr 4, 2018, Letter: Fluoride isn’t worth the cost
- Mar 29, 2018, Letter: Professionals support Edgartown fluoridation
- Mar 10, 2018, Edgartown Debates Fluoride Question
- Feb 28, 2018, Edgartown to hold public forum on water fluoridation
- Dec 6, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Health board didn’t follow law on adding fluoride
- Nov 29, 2017, Editorial. Edgartown: Decayed trust
- Nov 22, 2017, To fluoridate or not to fluoridate? Edgartown board of health leaves it up to voters
- Nov 22, 2017, Fluoride Question Goes to Edgartown Voters
- Nov 16, 2017, Fluoride Plan Continues to Draw Heat in Edgartown
- Nov 15, 2017, Edgartown. Letter: Fluoridation should be a townwide decision
- Nov 14, 2017, Edgartown: Fluoride decision gets town’s attention
- Nov 9, 2017, Edgartown: Board of Health Votes to Add Fluoride to Water, Causing Outcry
- Nov 8, 2017, Edgartown voters have less than 90 days to petition against fluoride
- Nov 8, 2017, Letter: Fluoride may do more harm than good
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgartown BOH Legal Notice: Fluoride level in drinking water to be raised
- Oct 20, 2017, Edgarton’s Board of Health to discuss fluoridation