WATER FLUORIDATION STATUS:
- PERCENT OF PEOPLE SERVED BY PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS THAT ARE FLUORIDATED:
- To see if your town is fluoridated, click here.
- To learn when your town was fluoridated, and which fluoridation chemical it uses, click here.
- PUBLIC HEARING: Nov 22, 2019, on the level of fluoride in fluoridation schemes
- Oct 2019: Fluoridation Rules Statement of Need and Reasonableness (SONAR)
Updating the calculations:
Authority Target Concentration Minimum Maximum Control Range Original CDC (1962) N/A 0.7 1.2 -0.1 to +0.5=0.6 mg/L (198 MN Rules / MDH (1970) 1.2 0.9 1.5 0.6 mg/L CDC (2015) 0.7 None None N/A CDC (2018) 0.7 0.6 1.0 0.4 mg/L MN Rules / MDH (2019) 0.7 0.5 0.9 -0.2 to +0.2=0.4 mg/L
- 2013: Bill to repeal Mandatory Fluoridation and Petition to MN House & Senate to end Mandatory Fluoridation
- To see the latest news on fluoride developments in Minnesota, click here.
- To see an updated list of Minnesota’s professionals calling for an end to fluoridation, click here.
Minnesota’s MANDATORY FLUORIDATION LAW:
- Minnesota Statute § 144.145 requires statewide fluoridation of all public water supplies. The statute gives the MN Commission of Health complete authority over the regulation of the mandate. State administrative code requires that public water supplies contain an average concentration of 1.2 mg/l, and contain no less then 0.9 mg/l, and no more than 1.5 mg/l. To learn more about this law, click here.
DATA ON ORAL HEALTH:
- 2006. Minnesota Oral Health Data Book. Children and Youth. By the Minnesota Department of Health, Community and Family Health Division. October. Funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration Grant Number H47MC02019.
— There was only a mention of dental fluorosis in a reference citation.
- 2013. The Status of Oral Health in Minnesota. By Khan B, Adeniyi A, Thoele MJ. Minnesota Department of Health, Oral Health Program. September. Funding sources: CDC Division of Oral Health Cooperative Agreement funding, DP08-802. Health Resources and Services Administration grants to states to support oral health workforce activities, T12HP14659. No mention of dental fluorosis.
- 2013b. Minnesota Oral Health Plan. 2013-2018. Minnesota Department of Health, Oral Health Program. January. Funding was made possible by grants to support statewide oral health related activities from the Health Resources and Services Administration, Award T12HP1465, and Centers for Disease Control Prevention, Cooperative Agreement Grant Number 5U58DP0011579. No mention of dental fluorosis.
FAN’S STATE COORDINATOR IN Minnesota:
If you live in MN and want to get the fluoride out of your water contact Stuart Cooper, FAN’s Minnesota state coordinator.
MINNESOTA WATER SYSTEMS WITH HIGH FLUORIDE LEVELS:
|Water System||County||Population Size||Fluoride Level (ppm)|
|Information from CDC’s Fluoridation Census published in 1993.|
FLUORIDE POLLUTION SOURCES IN MINNESOTA:
In 2008, Minnesota ranked #34 out of 48 states for Hydrogen Fluoride releases (254,988 pounds) into the environment. The following data comes from EPA’s Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). “Total releases” includes both water and air pollution. It’s important to note, however, that not all industries or sources that release fluoride into the environment are included in the TRI.
|Type of Industry||Name of Industry|
|61,000||Coal-fired power plant||XCEL ENERGY SHERBURNE COUNTY GENERATING PLANT. 13999 INDUSTRIAL BLVD., BECKER, Minnesota 55308 (SHERBURNE)|
|55,005||Coal-fired power plant||OSWELL ENERGY CENTER. 1210 NW 3RD ST, COHASSET, Minnesota 55721 (ITASCA)|
|51,000||Coal-fired power plant||EXCEL ENERGY RIVERSIDE GENERATING PLANT. 3100 MARSHALL ST NE, MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota 55418 (HENNEPIN)|
|32,000||Coal-fired power plant||EXCEL ENERGY BLACK DOG GENERATING PLANT. 1400 E BLACK DOG RD, BURNSVILLE, Minnesota 55337 (DAKOTA)|
|24,583||Coal-fired power plant||ROCHESTER PUBLIC UTILITIES SILVER LAKE PLANT. 425 W SILVER LAKE DR NE, ROCHESTER, Minnesota 55906 (OLMSTED)|
|19,000||Coal-fired power plant||OTTER TAIL POWER CO HOOT LAKE PLANT. 1012 WATER PLANT RD, FERGUS FALLS, Minnesota 56537 (OTTER TAIL)|
|10,000||Coal-fired power plant||EXCEL ENERGY A. S. KING GENERATING PLANT. 1103 KING RD, BAYPORT, Minnesota 55003 (WASHINGTON)|
|1,660||Computers/Electronics||POLAR SEMICONDUCTOR INC. 2800 E OLD SHAKOPEE RD, BLOOMINGTON, Minnesota 55425 (HENNEPIN)|
|419||Chemicals||3M COTTAGE GROVE CENTER. 10746 INNOVATION RD, COTTAGE GROVE, Minnesota 55016 (WASHINGTON)|
|200||Chemicals||MARATHON PETROLEUM CO LLC SAINT PAUL PARK REFINER. 300 3RD ST, SAINT PAUL PARK, Minnesota 55071 (WASHINGTON)|
|99||Computers/Electronics||CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR MINNESOTA INC. 2401 E 86TH ST, BLOOMINGTON, Minnesota 55425 (HENNEPIN)|
|13||Fabricated Metals||REXAM BEVERAGE CAN CO RE: EVA STREET ST PAUL MN. 139 EVA ST, SAINT PAUL, Minnesota 55107 (RAMSEY)|
|9||Chemical Wholesalers||DPC INDUSTRIES INC. 12800 PINE BEND TRAIL, ROSEMOUNT, Minnesota 55068 (DAKOTA)|